Blowing through when planting under???

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Blowing through when planting under???

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Mon May 14, 2007 9:34 pm

I have a question about a topic that I really don't understand. My question is about the plant. When you plant way under, and your pole rolls through and you land toooo deep in the mat (know what I am talking about?). Couldn't you use that to your advantage, and get on much longer poles?

I plant a little under so this is not the case for me, but I was just thinking about some things that people have told me. Brad Walker told us at Reno this year, that in the World Indoor Championships last year he planted under in warm-ups and blew through his stick and landed plartly off the back of the pit. I might have the story wrong, but I could swear that he told me that. Another example is something that Coach Webb told me at the University of Tennessee. He told me the story of Lawrence Johnson's NCAA record jump and how he was 3-4 feet under...and was notorious about planting under. Does anyone have film of any of his jumps?

If anyone can elaborate/explain/answer this it would be much appriciated!
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 pm

something ive noticed is that people that plant under have more of a left arm and stay down longer to penatrate more
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Can someone explain this to me?

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Mon May 14, 2007 10:41 pm

I would think that people who plant under have to have a lot more speed and a great takeoff to finish the jump, and I would imagine the pole tip sinks a lot when people take off under.
Coach Bob Phillips

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:47 pm

i think it helps to taking off under is better than taking off too soon because i am usually under a little every time and when i take off under and when i take off too far out i really crush the pole i actually snapped my first pole by taking off before got a big bruise on my back from landing on the box
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:47 pm

I thought lawrence johnson attempted to use the petrov model
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Tue May 15, 2007 1:29 am

I still don't get what your talking about. Plant under?

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue May 15, 2007 6:25 am

Planting under is never better than being on at the take-off. Too much energy loss!

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue May 15, 2007 8:46 am

Taking off under causes problems. You are never able to set yourself up to whip the trail leg, and thus, in the long term, you won't jump as high.

Being under will, a lot of times, push you into the pit, however, the bend is often very low, and often simulates a "blow-through."

Being under causes people to think they are blowing through, because they are often hitting the bar on the way up, or feel "too close." but, if you've ever hitten your take off on or slightly outside of the top hand, you will realize that you can jump much higher on your smaller poles by not having the initial resistance of the pole bending prior to leaving the ground. By being unresisted, your hips are not pulled forward prematurely, and you can establish a powerful whip, rather than allowing your hips to be pulled through by being under.

The penetration from being under seems advantageous but isn't necessarily beneficial. Try it. You'll notice a difference between an upspringing unresisted takeoff, and an "under" takeoff where the pole pulls you through.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 am

If altius were to respond to your post kyseaman -which if course he is not doing - he would say something like "I know you are from Kentucky - but even you cant be dumb enough to believe that taking off under is a good thing". He would say "Taking off under will condemn you to mediocrity".

He would then say "If you want to see how you should really take off, go to the intermdiate section -where your dumb post should be - if not in the beginners section!! Go to "Bottom arm and inversion" and take a look at a 12 year girl showing you how to take off."

Better still come down to Boone NC and find out a little more later this year. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Tue May 15, 2007 4:16 pm

that could quite possibly be my favorite post of all time
Coach Bob Phillips

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 15, 2007 5:09 pm

I dont think its a dumb post, i think a lot of vaulters might do this same thing when they take off under, and they probably wonder why they are blowing through. Ive blown through while being under, and wondered why thats happened too. There is an answer im sure, but if we dont ask it, how do we know the answer? Not everyone owns BTB. Dont worry Seaman, you are still the man!! haha see you at nike, take it easy bro.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”