Injuries from landing on your feet - Tell your stories!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Injuries from landing on your feet - Tell your stories!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:25 pm

I have a problem with some of my vaulters landing on their feet.

I would like everyone to post their horror stories about injuries they have witnessed/experienced from vaulters landing on their feet in the pit. Get into detail. I want to have some good ones to print out and make my kids read.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Two world class careers ended because of landing on their feet:

1. Dave Volz landed on a crossbar that was under the top pad during practice and broke his foot. He did come back years later to make the OG team.

2. Maksim Tarasov broke his foot (and tore his Achilles I think) when he landed on his feet during a meet.

Coached a girl years ago that landed on her feet and tore her ACL. She jumped for one more year but about 2 feet lower.

On the mediocre vaulter level, I broke my ankle running through when my spikes snagged the top pad but my body kept going. Never. Run. Through.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 pm

i blew though a pole and landed on my feet on the back of the pit and went face first off the end and landed on my chin and it swelled up and got a bruise but that is all i have ever seen, if i landed on my back i probably wouldnt have falen off the back i felt really dumb doing that in font of people
Last edited by txpolevaulter_k25 on Tue May 15, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Tue May 15, 2007 10:41 pm

I can't tell you how many times I should have twisted my ankle on the pit, but lucky for me my ankles are really strong yet really loose at the same time. Thank you skateboarding! :yes:

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed May 16, 2007 1:03 am

One of my friends landed on his feet broke his ankle and ended his vaulting career in his junior year...
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

multicard18
PV Fan

Unread postby multicard18 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am

[quote="achtungpv"]Two world class careers ended because of landing on their feet:

1. Dave Volz landed on a crossbar that was under the top pad during practice and broke his foot. He did come back years later to make the OG team.

Dave broke his ankle(s) by jumping from the rafters onto the mat and missing half way. His upper body made it to the mat but lower body wasnt too lucky. JCOOV......correct me if im wrong.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am

multicard18 wrote:Dave broke his ankle(s) by jumping from the rafters onto the mat and missing half way. His upper body made it to the mat but lower body wasnt too lucky. JCOOV......correct me if im wrong.

Maybe that injury didn't end his career?

I remember reading in T&F News when he made his comeback in '92 that he'd broke it training in Zurich when he landed feet first on a crossbar stored under the top pad. I could be hallucinating. probably not the first time.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 16, 2007 11:55 am

After training for some time in arkansas while living in NY, i had 1 final practice before going back up to NY for the Empire State Games. I got stood up on a vault, and started drifting toward the standard. So as soon as i was over any part of the mat (the right side) i let go. My right spike got caught on the slope of the front bun, but i still had my speed coming down from 14 or so feet, and my toes came up and to the right of where they should be, twisting my ankle bad enough to keep me sitting in the pit holding back emotion from my new coach!!! LOL but when i got up and tried to step on it, i got a shot of pain like almost nothing ive ever had, and i ended up with 3 ligament strains in one foot. I took 10 days off before the Empire State Games where i could only jump 13'6. P.S. my right foot is my take off foot.....

NOT FUN!! Problem is, i had to learn for myself. Landing on your side or back is more fun anyway, just do that!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:19 pm

I have tore my ankle up twice landing on my feet. The first time was in college. I had to play a basketball game the following night and I couldn't tell the b-ball coach because I wasn't supposed to be PVing. The second time I was showing some kids a drill on a pit I had never jumped in and it was bad I was out for a couple of months. Don't do it!

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Fri May 18, 2007 1:25 am

Back in Florida at the Bob Hayse inv. a girl (jumping like 8 or 9 feet) landed on her feet and ended up getting wip-lash and was pulled out of the meet in a stretcher.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri May 18, 2007 8:22 am

Didn't the russian girl who broke her leg at the Olympics in '04 land on her feet?

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri May 18, 2007 10:47 am

Bill Payne tore his ankle up so bad his sophmore year landing on his feet. That we had to tape it up for the next two years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still swollen!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”