WA Rankings Updated

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

WA Rankings Updated

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:13 pm

Yes, for the first time in over a month, the rankings have been updated.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/wa/2003rankings.html

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:05 pm

is this from high schools across america? or just washington? and how did you access this information?
hmmmm

zack

Unread postby zack » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:19 am

WA rankings=Washington high school rankings. We compile them by tracking down every meet result we can find.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:37 am

zack wrote:WA rankings=Washington high school rankings. We compile them by tracking down every meet result we can find.

Do you know how I can do that here in Indiana?
hmmmm

zack

Unread postby zack » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:05 am

Well we find most of our results by searching through newspaper websites that publish HS sports results. We also find some of them on the Washington State HS Track and Field site watfxc.com and lastly sometimes coaches, parents and athletes will e-mail marks to us if we're lucky. It takes some work to make them complete and accurate but you have to start somewhere even if they're not very complete. If you're truly interested in doing it for Indiana we might be able to host it on Pole Vault Power.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:29 am

zack wrote:Well we find most of our results by searching through newspaper websites that publish HS sports results. We also find some of them on the Washington State HS Track and Field site watfxc.com and lastly sometimes coaches, parents and athletes will e-mail marks to us if we're lucky. It takes some work to make them complete and accurate but you have to start somewhere even if they're not very complete. If you're truly interested in doing it for Indiana we might be able to host it on Pole Vault Power.

ya that would be great. ill look into it and get back to you
hmmmm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:38 am

I harass the high schoolers until they tell me everything they know about every kid in their league :dazed:

OK that is a slight exaggeration, but I did get a lot of the latest updates from talking to kids and coaches at camp and the all-comers meet last Monday.

It's a huge pain in the butt, but it can be very rewarding too. This is the 3rd year I have done it.

And I have a broader goal behind hunting down every single kid in the whole state... there are more than 25,000 high school vaulters in the US, and I will prove it someday :mad:

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:23 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I harass the high schoolers until they tell me everything they know about every kid in their league :dazed:

OK that is a slight exaggeration, but I did get a lot of the latest updates from talking to kids and coaches at camp and the all-comers meet last Monday.

It's a huge pain in the butt, but it can be very rewarding too. This is the 3rd year I have done it.

And I have a broader goal behind hunting down every single kid in the whole state... there are more than 25,000 high school vaulters in the US, and I will prove it someday :mad:

Isn't Gus already tryig to get every high school vaulter in america's height on his site? Although last time I checked the heights for Indiana were not updated.
hmmmm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:29 pm

Gus only lists kids above 9 feet for girls and 13 feet for guys. Trust me, there are a LOT of vaulters below those heights (but his lists are still monstrous!).

If you know people from Indiana that he does not have, email him! He relies mainly on reader submissions and results from major meets.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:26 pm

For Indiana check out indianarunner.com. They try to compile a listing during the season of every high school track event with some sort of verification.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:45 pm

Oldcoach wrote:For Indiana check out indianarunner.com. They try to compile a listing during the season of every high school track event with some sort of verification.

This site was very useful but they never updated their season bests times(heights) once sectionals started.
hmmmm

FOLLOWtheNINJA
PV Beginner

Unread postby FOLLOWtheNINJA » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:09 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
I harass the high schoolers until they tell me everything they know about every kid in their league

Yeah you do :D your asking everyone :dazed:
Well almost everyone :crying: (J/k)

Return to “Washington”