13 yo New Zealand girl clears 3.90

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

13 yo New Zealand girl clears 3.90

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:29 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundaystar ... a6469.html

Vaulter challenges world record
By SIMON PLUMB - North Shore Times | Saturday, 20 October 2007

SUSAN CORSER-SMITH
ON THE UP: Kerry Charlesworth plants and takes off on her record-breaking vault attempt.

Bays Cougar's Kerry Charles-worth was literally millimetres from setting a new pole vault world record.
Competing in a local 'hot meet' at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday, Charlesworth successfully made a vault of 3.90 metres - just 5cm below the girls world record of 3.95 metres set by Greek vaulter Ekaterini Stefanidou in 2004.
The previous New Zealand record was held by clubmate Jaedena Ward, 16, who cleared 3.55 metres at this year's national championships in March.
Charlesworth?s weekend vault even exceeded the women's under-19 national record of 3.85 metres.
At 13, Charlesworth now holds a senior national record.
No stranger to top-level competition, it's Charlesworth's background as a national gymnast that's got many people drawing comparisons.
"I think part of Kerry's early success is in being able to relate her gymnastics to pole vaulting," says coach and New Zealand pole vault champion Jeremy McColl.
"Kerry's technique is very good. As she continues to get stronger and faster and on to bigger poles, she will no doubt be a top international vaulter in the future."
And if genetics have got anything to do with it, you wouldn?t bet against her. Sisters Jessica and Phillipa are both track and field national champions too.
For the time being though, the international stage will have to be patient on Kerry's full appearance, currently restricted by age to the under-17 World Youth Championships in 2009.
On the bright side, she's got six more years to break her own under-19 record.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:31 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/sto ... d=10470733

Athletics: Pole position
5:00AM Friday October 19, 2007
By Chris Rattue

Kerry Charlesworth is ranked No 1 in the world for her age. Photo / Martin Sykes
There it was, buried in last weekend's Auckland athletics results from Mt Smart Stadium like a mysterious code.

W16, W17, W18, W19.

Maybe it was a keyboard with a stutter. Or maybe it was a typo (newspaper jargon for a stuff-up).

But no.

What it represented was a giant leap for young girl-kind. Thirteen-year-old North Harbour pole vaulter Kerry Charlesworth had launched herself over 3.90m and into major calculations as a world-class star of the future.

The row of Ws indicated she now holds all New Zealand records up to under-19 level. It also left her just 5cm short of the qualifying standard for the world junior (under-19) athletics championships, even though she is too young to attend them yet.

And she has already sailed past the 3.70m qualifying mark for the world youth (under-17) athletic championships in Italy in 2009.

Charlesworth has also hit the 4m mark in training. All of this is astonishing for someone who took up pole vaulting seriously only in January.

It's a tricky business, writing about a precocious and prodigious talent. You don't want to over-state matters, yet in Charlesworth's case, those in the know believe her future may not only involve leaping the equivalent of small buildings but also climbing up an Olympic podium.

"For her age, she is now ranked No 1 in the world," said her coach Jeremy McColl, who like Charlesworth was a gymnast turned pole vaulter.
McColl, a two-time national champion, added: "It is rare to find someone so dedicated but there are only a few people who can be world champions and she is one of them."

"Kerry can be right up there among the top women pole vaulters in the world and the height she is doing now reflects that."

The Charlesworth family, of South African origin, came to New Zealand four years ago, having spent about six years in London.

John and Debbie Charlesworth settled the family on Auckland's North Shore, where Kerry and her older sisters Jessica and Philippa, and 8-year-old brother Connor, are heavily involved in sport.

Jessica, 19, is a top hammer thrower, Philippa, 16, has represented New Zealand in the javelin, and young Connor is mad on athletics and judo.
Kerry was an elite gymnast, representing New Zealand in Australia, but back and ankle injuries persuaded her to quit the sport in which she trained for 30 hours a week.

Her sisters pointed out that top gymnasts often transfer well to the pole vault, so she gave it a try late last year and came under McColl's tutelage in January.

Her rise has been meteoric, and in her first meeting of the new season at Mt Smart she was just 5cm short of Greek Ekaterini Stefanidi's record for a 13-year-old girl.

"I really want to get to the Olympics, I really love the sport and want to carry on with it," said Charlesworth before one of her nightly three-hour training sessions at the Millennium Institute.

"I always want to train more but I'm still young and don't want to burn out. My friends think I'm obsessed with it and think I'm kind of crazy, but they also think it looks cool.

"My sisters said that gymnasts have a natural ability for the pole vault so I just followed their advice and got started. The key is a lot of repetitive drills, a good coach, and to keep on training."

The Rangitoto College student is a member of Bay Cougars, one of the few clubs around the country where pole vaulting has a hold.

Her 3.90m mark beat the nine-year-old national under-19 record held by another North Shore vaulter, Jenni Dryburgh, at 3.85m.

McColl and Charlesworth are concentrating on technique at this point, which means her rise may not be so spectacular for the next year or so. She will also have to get used to using longer and more rigid poles.

Advertisement

Advertisement

But the bottom line is that New Zealand has a potential world star on its hands in what has been a curio sport in this country. Charlesworth is already zooming towards national record holder Melina Hamilton, and will have to head overseas to fulfil her potential.

McColl said he knew from the start that Charlesworth's successful and highly disciplined gymnastics background under Russian coaches Alexandre and Sasha Koudinov would be a massive advantage.

"With her gym background I could tell she had all the potential, but she is definitely something else," he said. "She's got a lot of talent, probably more than I've ever seen before in a pole vaulter in this country," he said.

"Her gym background means she doesn't have the normal fears that other girls have. Others I've trained just don't have the same disciplined technique. She's obsessed with it ... but I don't want to push her too much at the moment.

"She has spent countless hours watching the top jumpers, what their technique is. Kerry has amazing body awareness, incredible, I've never seen it before. I can tell her to change one minor thing and she will do it straight away, whereas most girls can't do that. Others can make bigger adjustments but not the very small technical ones.

"One thing I really noticed happened about a month ago. She had a crash and I told her to get straight back on the runway, which she did. She did another jump straight away.

"I've never seen that before with a girl, of any age. Normally that's it - session over. She understood that otherwise, it remains in the back of your mind. It showed she has no fear."

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Kerry 3,90

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Hey ya this is one of my vaulters that I train here in NZ. I was quite surprised to see her story on here :D

She is doing very well, she only started jumping with me in January of this year. I thought I would put some links of her Jumps from the weekend.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7pdrd6u2q98

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ON6o0qrXqqc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vUOXZo9jgM

Last video I zoomed out way too far:(

Very proud of her :D

Enjoy

Jeremy
NZ Vaulter

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:58 am

Nice job coach :yes:

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:05 am

Thank you Becca :D

Much appreciated

:)

Jeremy
NZ Vaulter

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:33 am

How tall is Kerry and what size poles is she on?

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:50 am

She uses 13'145 12 steps-14 steps.
In the video she is using 13'155 off 14 steps. This pole is actually 12'6ish. 6 inches cut off from bottom, very old pole. I'm guessing it was damaged a few years back?
Pushing 30-40cm at 13 is great :yes:
By January to March I would like her to get onto a 13'160.
Then following season 13'6 poles.
Hopefully I can get some funding for her as we have no 13'6 poles at all.

Kerry is about 1metre 60cm, this is a guess but I would say about this.
NZ Vaulter

mors
PV Newbie

Unread postby mors » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:09 am

thanks
maybe the bubka female everbody wait ? with a future record at 5m30-40 !!! :D
sorry for my english

roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Other Age-13 Bests

Unread postby roger/over » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Kerry's 3.90 would appear to rank her tied for the second-highest mark for her age, just two centimeters below Lisa Ryshich's best at age 13

The top four as I have them in my files:

-13-
3.92 Lisa Ryshich GER 1988-09-27 1 Relingen 2002-09-03
3.90 Annu Mäkelä FIN 1982-09-20 1-17 Somero 1996-07-10
3.90 Ekateríni Stefanídi GRE 1990-02-04 7 Veniz Haniá 2003-06-09
3.90 Vicky Parnov AUS 1990-10-24 1-17 NC-j Canberra 2004-03-28

NZ Vaulter
PV Fan

Re: Other Age-13 Bests

Unread postby NZ Vaulter » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:38 pm

roger/over wrote:Kerry's 3.90 would appear to rank her tied for the second-highest mark for her age, just two centimeters below Lisa Ryshich's best at age 13

The top four as I have them in my files:

-13-
3.92 Lisa Ryshich GER 1988-09-27 1 Relingen 2002-09-03
3.90 Annu Mäkelä FIN 1982-09-20 1-17 Somero 1996-07-10
3.90 Ekateríni Stefanídi GRE 1990-02-04 7 Veniz Haniá 2003-06-09
3.90 Vicky Parnov AUS 1990-10-24 1-17 NC-j Canberra 2004-03-28

The records say that the record is as follows:

13 3.95i 12-11 1/2 Ekaterini Stefanidou GRE 4 Feb 90
Athens 18 Jan 04
This is the highest jumped by a 13 year old girl
Though this is an indoor record, does that make the official outdoor record
3.92?
Or can an age group record be either indoor or outdoor?

If so we shouldn't have attempted 3.96 :confused: we should have attempted 3.93 then went for 4metres...

Oh well we still have till around December the 9th to try and break it!! :yes:
NZ Vaulter

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:24 pm

The IAAF doesn't sanction age records, so the rules are not set in stone. Roger's list does look like it is just outdoor marks. The website I go to for the records includes both indoors and out: http://dominique.100free.com/

Return to “Pole Vault - International”