Updates on Mondo Duplantis and siblings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Duplantis Brothers AND Johanna

Unread postby dj » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:52 pm

hye

it may look like "Petrov" model but was not "designed' as Petrov model but was designed as "fast accelerated run... high, very strong, attack, jump impulse plant… and swing as fast as you can off the top..

it is definitely not "Petrov” in the run… and the run is where we need to change our thinking away from Petrov, and Alan. Sorry Alan, but the way you and Petrov are presenting the run is incorrect.. and the way Mondo is running and the way he “thinks’ about it is correct….

the current thinking/teaching on the run (ala.. short run training and PR’s to “galloping”, “pawing” etc) is lowing our levels of performance.. Mondo at 10 has no “preconceived” notions about how he needs to run.. he has a father that knew how to get to the box with the highest possible controllable speed and simply has let Mondo follow that thinking…

Isi was off on her run at the world champs.. period. She was not tired, mentally drained.. she was out at her 6 stride mark, didn’t change and/or know how to change and couldn't jump correctly because she could not get to the takeoff correctly.

It was exciting to see Mondo jump “naturally” and unfortunately most of you will simply “sluff” his run off to “genes” but it is not genes, (yes he has a great “innate” “feel” for movement, called a “kinesthetic feel” easy to see in his Warnnerdam, Huffman and Clowick demo) he simply has been taught or allowed to position the pole correctly and accelerate down the runway, from any distance he feels he can handle and use…

dj
Last edited by dj on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:08 pm

KirkB wrote: very soon Mondo will be able to wear whatever brand of spikes he wants ... for FREE! :yes:

Can't get free spikes until collegiate eligibility is exhausted... that's probably ~12 years from now.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:47 pm

"Petrov" model? I think this looks a lot more like the Duplantis model!

I don't think Ive ever seen someone carry so much speed on the runway, attack the plant, and swing to vertical as fast as Greg Duplantis. I mean did anyone besides him ever run from 12 lefts? And now you got Mondo hauling down the runway with 9 lefts! Most high school and college kids don't even run from that far. But I am a big fan of the long run, so keep it up!
Most pro sprinters don't hit full speed till 60m in, what makes pole vaulters think they should be able to do it in 6-8 lefts?

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:58 pm

hey

thanks VP.. respect you for that kind of thinking...

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:25 am

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/06/203 ... ow-as.html

10-year-old steals vaulter show in Clovis
Posted at 11:37 PM on Friday, Aug. 06, 2010
By Andy Boogaard / The Fresno Bee

Nick Hysong has been here. And Tim Mack. And Stacy Dragila -- USA Olympic gold medalists them all.
Crowds ranging from 5,000 to 10,000 arrive annually for the most intimate pole vaulting competition in the land.
For 15 years, they've stuffed the intersection of Pollasky Avenue and Fourth Street in Old Town Clovis, clapped rhythmically, high-fived participants, howled and had a heck of a time at what is commonly referred to as the Clovis Street Vault. Then came the 16th edition Friday night, and it got better.
It came at 7:35 p.m., in 90-degree heat and a setting sun casting long shadows over the throng as the little guy from Louisiana -- 10-year-old Mondo Duplantis -- gripped his pole, gritted his teeth, sprinted down the narrow, elevated runway and sailed toward a crossbar hanging nearly three times his height on his third and final attempt.
The 4-foot-6, 80-pounder clipped the bar on his way down. The bar bounced. The kid landed in the pit, watched above and waited anxiously.
The bar settled, stuck, and it was official -- 12 feet, 8 inches and another age-group world record, breaking his own of 12-71/4. And, understand, his standard is good for 11- and 12-year-olds as well.
For all the emotional crowd response in the history of the event, perhaps never has there been one like this. And Mondo answered by literally running into their arms, then throwing them T-shirts and then beads -- fitting on a night the state of Louisiana dominated with high school vaulters from a Mardi Gras Track Club coached by former Fresno State All-American Doug Fraley.
"It was pretty great, amazing," Mondo said while signing autographs afterward.
He had closed the evening by missing three attempts at 13-11/4, but it didn't matter -- the show had been stolen by a fifth-grader.
And such attention agrees with him, said his father/coach Greg Duplantis, a former national high school record-holder and 19-foot pro.
"He's funny," dad said, "he likes crowds and people looking at him."
This came a day after his son arrived for a meet news conference at the Doghouse Grill in suit, tie and fedora.
"That's his call, all him, it has nothing to do with me," dad said. "We usually go out to dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, and he always wears a suit. That's him, man."
The high school competition, matching two-male, two-female teams from Clovis, Hanford, Los Angeles, San Diego, Reno and New Orleans, was interrupted so Mondo could vault consecutively, without competition.
Hardly taking a breather between attempts, he blew over 10-0, 10-6, 11-0, 11-6 and 12-2 before missing twice at 12-8.
He would take 11 attempts in all, spread over 20 minutes, leaving him gasping for air.
"It was OK," he said. "The adrenaline was rushing."

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/06/203 ... z0vuW6fl4J

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:28 am

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/05/203 ... =mirelated

10-year-old pole vaulter lives for height
Posted at 11:21 PM on Thursday, Aug. 05, 2010
By Andy Boogaard / The Fresno Bee

The state of Louisiana's invasion of Old Town Clovis tonight will begin with this year's two best female high school pole vaulters in the nation and a male state champion.
Then a crowd that has ranged from 5,000 to 10,000 at the North American Pole Vaulting Association Championships -- better known as the Clovis Street Vault -- will see something unlike anything before in the 16-year history of the event at the intersection of Fourth Street and Pollasky Avenue.
Mondo Duplantis of Lafayette, La., at 4-foot-6, 80 pounds, will grip near the top of a fiberglass pole almost nearly three times his height, sail down the narrow runaway and attempt to break his own world age-group record of 12-71/4.
At 10 years old.
"I guess I just like going up high in the air and coming down," he said Thursday in the most basic, elementary explanation one could expect from a soft-spoken child when asked what he likes about the sport.
His world record, set July 3 at Gothenburg, Sweden's Ullevi Stadium, came against a field of 13-year-olds.
He beat them all.
And he expected to: "Yeah."
Why? "Because my aunt knew people in the meet, their [personal records], and mine was 50 centimeters higher."
He talks metric.
Goal tonight: "4 meters."
Translated: 13 feet, 1 inch.
The kid's different.
"Unique," says dad, Greg Duplantis.
He joined his youngest son, Mondo, and his oldest son, Andreas -- Lafayette High's 16-6 state champion this year as a junior -- at a Clovis Street Vault pre-meet gathering Thursday at the Doghouse Grill.
Genetics help explain Mondo's ascent.
At 17-113/4, dad was a national high school record-holder as a senior at Lafayette High in 1981. Then later, as a professional competing in Europe, he went 19-01/4 for a man standing 5-6. He remains the world's smallest 19-foot vaulter.
He was competing for Louisiana State when he met his future wife, Sweden-born Helena, who was a heptathlete at the school.
A lawyer and pole vault coach, Greg Duplantis has a 150-foot, well-surfaced runway feeding a pole vault pit adjacent to the family's 4,000-square foot home in a Lafayette subdivision.
Mondo was introduced to it quickly.
"Probably 2," dad says. "He could barely walk."
What followed was out of dad's control.
First, the child developed speed -- a prerequisite for vaulting excellence.
No one on his Little League or soccer teams can touch him. And even his 13-year-old brother, Antoine -- who's fast -- can barely beat him.
Equally as important, Mondo -- real name, Armand -- embraced the sport.
Nothing was shoved down his throat.
"You can't force pole vaulting; it's too hard," dad says. "That's like forcing cliff diving.
"Mondo's fast, fearless, aggressive and he loves it. He's a student -- he gets on the Internet and watches videos of pros. And he'll jump three or four times a day in the backyard. He's real excited about it."
Mondo's success can also be attributed to coaching competence.
It's no accident the state of Louisiana will be so well-represented tonight in Clovis -- from Mondo, to brother Andreas and to Morgann Leleux (14-0) and Merritt Grace Van Meter (13-8), the nation's female prep leaders this year.
And there's a local tie -- Doug Fraley, the former Fresno State three-time NCAA pole vault champion and son of Clovis Street Vault architect Bob Fraley.
Doug Fraley has for years lived in the New Orleans, La., area, and has progressively mentored young vaulters -- Mondo being his latest prize.
"Doug's influence has been tremendous," Greg Duplantis says. "He's really a premier coach, and he's always available to talk."
Doug Fraley, who will be present tonight, says: "We're just trying to get the best talent out there in pole vaulting and give them the best help and equipment we can. You get the right kids jumping with the right coaches and they're going to be good. It's that simple."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Updates on Mondo Duplantis and siblings

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 am

Really nice quality video of Mondo jumping 12'8 at Clovis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQ4CeG4_o0

You really only need to watch the first 30 seconds.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 am

Did anyone catch a 3 left mid on Mondo? In the interview his dad said no kids on any of his teams are close to his speed, has he ever tried to run anything like the 100 just to see how fast he really was?

duppawpaw
PV Fan
Expertise: PV Analyst 40+ yrs
Favorite Vaulter: 5 Duplantis'

Unread postby duppawpaw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:50 pm

the only "offical" time we have for mondo in the 60m is 8.24 into a slight headwind in a meet in sweden this summer.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Great results from the Duplantis family in Reno!

Andreas Duplantis 16'8 PR
Mondo Duplantis 12'9 PR age 11 World Record
Antoine Duplantis 12'0" =PR
Johanna Duplantis 7'0" age 8 - not a world record, but she has to be the smallest person over 7'. Greg wasn't sure of her stats, but she is about 3' tall 40 pounds. She can walk under the 7' bar without ducking (the pit is about 4' high).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:53 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

I have my own HD video of Mondo jumping 12'9 that I will post later. Here is a video of it to tide you over... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDHBy08K1Q

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”