college interest

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

college interest

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 pm

What heights would i need to put up by the end of this season, my junior year, in order to get some serious college recognition? Id love to go to a bigger school in a stronger conference but is that gonna be an option, and if so what do i need to jump to get there?

Barto
PV Great

Re: college interest

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

In the very most general of terms 16' as a Junior will get you serious consideration by major conference schools. However, I would like to emphasize that jumping 16' as a Junior is NOT any sort of minimum performance standard to be successful in the pole vault.
Facts, Not Fiction

zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 pm

How common is it though to see maybe smaller, less competative schools with good vault programs that would provide means for improvement?

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Many elite vaulters come from smaller schools. In fact, I would say the majority of elite men come from smaller programs.
Facts, Not Fiction

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Would not say the majority... Of the latest group of 19' guys, Derek miles is the only one I can think of that has came from a small school.

But there are a lot of people that improve no mater where they go to college. And there are college coaches that give kids chances if they have decent heights and they think the athlete is athletic enough. But 13' as a junior is decent. Pole vault is one of those events where sometimes things just click all of a sudden and you may PR by 3 foot in a month. And I have also noticed it is one of the events where a lot of people put off making their final college choice until the end of their senior year because they are chasing a big PR, and some colleges realize this and are still talking to seniors in May at their state championships.

So just relax and have fun vaulting. The Prs will come.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:21 am

Off the top of my head: in the last 5 years Tim Mack, Derek Miles, Jeff Hartwig, Mark Hollis, Adam Keul, Jacob Pauli, Giovanni Lanaro, and Jeremy Scott have all jumped over 5.75m and all of them come from non-BCS conference schools.
Facts, Not Fiction

polevault5
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.08m
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Unread postby polevault5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

Barto wrote:Off the top of my head: in the last 5 years Tim Mack, Derek Miles, Jeff Hartwig, Mark Hollis, Adam Keul, Jacob Pauli, Giovanni Lanaro, and Jeremy Scott have all jumped over 5.75m and all of them come from non-BCS conference schools.

Tim Mack went to Tennessee which is a BCS school, but I know what you're saying. Depending on the state you are in and the heights that normally come out of that state will determine what types of schools will give you attention. I jumped 14'6" as a junior in 2008 in Florida and was offered a scholarship at a D-! BCS school before my senior year. Although, it did help that I jumped 16'8" my senior year and they were ecstatic that I signed early.

Like some of these other people said, just pole vault, market yourself a little bit, and the PR's will come and the colleges will come.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Tim Mack started at an NAIA school and transferred to Tennessee.

polevault5
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.08m
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Unread postby polevault5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:52 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Tim Mack started at an NAIA school and transferred to Tennessee.

Ah that makes sense, I heard he jumped like 13'6" in high school and then went to jump 18'4" at Tennessee.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”