Crossbar Lifter

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Crossbar Lifter

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for volunteering. I'll buy you a beer.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 am

good morning

just for general information...

i created a "Gadget" putter-upper.. that was made from PVC with a spring clip to hold it on that slipped over the end of a pole.. small enough to take in your PV bag and you were always going to have a pole with you... I Patiented it in the early 80's and it worked well for many years.. Bruce Caldwell marketed it for me but it was not marketed much after 1988 when i left Springco..

it was cheap and always with you.. the “flexibility” in the PVC helped it grab the bar..

I did put bars up as high as 19-5/5.85m

now Gill has it in their catalog as a “putter-upper” but cut the “gap” wrong and it no longer fits the crossbar and the PVC is too rigid so it doesn’t even “grip” a small cross bar.

Last year I saw one in Germany and told the coach I “invented’ it. He laughed and said it doesn’t work!!! I tried it and he is correct..

If Gill is going to continue to carry it they need to go back to the original Patiented dimension..

Now I actually use a 3” “clamp” I get from Home Depot.. clamp it on a pole and use the “V” that has rubber on it to lift the bar.. Rick Foster at Cal Track showed me that one..

The patented is under David F. Johnston but it expired after a number of years….

dj

ps... good luck with your design sounds like it will work well.......

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:38 pm

dj wrote:i created a "Gadget" putter-upper.. that was made from PVC with a spring clip to hold it on that slipped over the end of a pole.. small enough to take in your PV bag and you were always going to have a pole with you... I Patiented it in the early 80's and it worked well for many years.. Bruce Caldwell marketed it for me but it was not marketed much after 1988 when i left Springco..

dj, I assume this is the patent you refer to.

-master

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:48 pm

"Now I actually use a 3” “clamp” I get from Home Depot.. clamp it on a pole and use the “V” that has rubber on it to lift the bar.. Rick Foster at Cal Track showed me that one.."

That's funny DJ. I buy six at the beginning of the season because I hate getting to a school and not having a way to put up a bar. I usually leave one with that school's coach. I can tell you how many meets have been sped up because of that 3" clamp.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 pm

hye

dj, I assume this is the patent you refer to.

yes this is the one... i changed it a little from the drawings.. actually my original personal drawings were correct.. these are the ones the patent lawyer made me pay for that were not as good as my originals...

dj

ps i went back and looked.. fig 4 is actually the correct one thaqt we manufactured...

Return to “Sales Forum”