Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

College Transfers 2009-2010

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 am

Who is transferring?

http://www.swxrightnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10845867

Signed to a scholarship agreement was transfer Colleen Meas from Camano Island, Wash., who earned NCAA Division II All-American honors in the pole vault in winter 2009 at the University of Mary in North Dakota. She is a 2008 graduate of Stanwood (Wash.) High School.

Colleen Meas - Camano Island, Wash. (Stanwood HS '08 & University of Mary)
-- An All-American in her only season competing at the University of Mary, Meas broke the school record in the pole vault with a season best mark of 13-0 1/4. She finished eighth with a mark of 11-9 3/4 at the NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field Championships to earn All-America honors. Meas went on to finish fourth with a mark of 11-4 1/2 at the Northern Sun Outdoor Track and Field Championships. A 2008 graduate from Stanwood (Wash.) High School, her personal bests marks are 16-1 in the long jump, 11-9 in the pole vault and 13-73 in the 100. She no-heighted as a senior at the 2008 District 1 4A Championships, costing her a chance to improve upon her eighth-place finish with a mark of 11-0 at the 2007 WIAA State 4A Championships.

CooperPV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Don Cooper

Re: College Transfers 2009-2010

Unread postby CooperPV » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 pm

Kirk Cooper to Colorado State
It's just you and the bar

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 am

MacKenzie Wills- University of Kansas, to Samford University

Michael Seaman- University of Tennessee, to Samford University

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/c- ... 09aaj.html

Samford Track And Field Signs 15 For 2010 Season
Bulldogs announce large signing class for 2010 track and field season

Aug. 10, 2009

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ---- The Samford University track and field team will welcome 15 newcomers to the 2010 roster, announced Samford head coach Rod Tiffin. The group includes three local talents as well as several from Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and Canada.

"I could not be happier with my first full recruiting class," Tiffin said. "I really feel that we have brought in some student-athletes that will lead our team to the next level. The mix we should have between the newcomers and our veterans should make this a team that the Samford family, friends and alumni can really get behind. This group will hopefully give Samford some national exposure and take us toward our objective of Southern Conference champs."

Emily Allen Emily Allen hails from Ravenwood High School out of Brentwood, Tenn. Allen placed fourth in the Tennessee State meet in long jump and triple jump. She holds personal bests of 38'6" in the triple jump, 18'0" in the long jump and 10'6" in the pole vault.

Laura Bedsole Laura Bedsole is one of three locals that will join the team in 2010. She comes out of Hoover High School and was the Alabama State runner-up in pole vault. Her personal best in the event is a height of 11'6".

Holly Benson Holly Benson will add to Samford's preexisting Canadian talent. After running cross country in the fall, the Windsor, Ontario (F.J. Brennan High School) native will compete in middle distance for the track and field team. Her personal bests include 2:13 in the 800 meters, 4:40 in the 1500 meters and 18:48 in the 5.2K.

Lauren D'Alessio Lauren D'Alessio is another local talent that will start early with cross country in the fall. She hails from Pelham High School and was an Alabama bronze medalist in the 800 meters and 1600 meters. She holds personal bests of 2:17.42 in the 800 meters, 5:07.04 in the 1600 meters and 18:43.88 in the 5K.

Julie McDonald Julie McDonald is the last of the local signees for the 2010 Bulldogs. McDonald comes out of Oak Mountain High School and was a state runner-up in the 100-meter hurdles. Her personal bests include 14.79 in the 100-meter hurdles and 46.57 in the 300-meter hurdles.

Chenelle Terry Chenelle Terry hails from Brentwood High School in Tennessee. She is a Tennessee State champion in the high jump and holds a personal best of 5'7" in the event.

MacKenzie Wills Mackenzie Wills is one of two transfers on the roster for the 2010 Bulldogs. Wills comes to Samford from the University of Kansas and is a native of New Carlisle, Ohio (Troy Christ High School). She is a two-time Ohio State champion and All-Ohio state record holder in the pole vault. Her personal best is 13'0".

Brandon Basset Brandon Bassett is the first of six guys to join the 2010 roster. A native of Tallahassee, Fla. (Chiles High School), he was a Florida State runner-up in the pole vault and third in the high jump. His personal bests include 44'6.25" in the triple jump, 22'2" in the long jump and 15'1" in the pole vault.

Brad Bostic Brad Bostic hails from Mount Pisgah High School in Alpharetta, Ga. He will contribute in the sprints for the 2010 Bulldog men. His personal best in the 400 meters is 50.18.

Ryan Cook Ryan Cook comes to Samford from Christ Presbyterian Academy in Franklin, Tenn. He is a Tennessee State champion in the pole vault and holds a personal best of 15'6" in the event.

Zac Cordner Zac Cordner will also add to the sprint talent for the Samford men in 2010. Cordner is also a Franklin, Tenn., and comes out of Covenant Christian Academy. His personal best in the 400 meters is 50.59.

Bo Gilroy Bo Gilroy is another product of Ravenwood High School in Brentwood, Tenn. He will be another decathlete for the Bulldogs as he took third in the Tennessee State Championship decathlon. His personal bests include 6'8" in the high jump, 22'0" in the long jump, 15.06 in the 110-meter hurdle and 6350 in the decathlon.

Michael Seaman Michael Seaman is Samford's second transfer of the year and comes from the University of Tennessee. The Bardestown, Tenn. (Bardestown High School), native was a NCAA regional qualifier in the pole vault (16'6.75") last season and was a four-time state champion and Kentucky record holder in high school.

Ramsey White Ramsey White comes out of Briarwood Christian School in Birmingham where he competed in football and track and field. White will run cross country for the first time this season and will then contribute in the spring on the track. He is an Alabama State champion in the 800 meters (1:56.39) and the 1600 meters (4:24.78).

Ashley Bridenbaugh rounds out the 2010 signing class for the Samford track and field team. She comes to Samford from Maryville High School in Tennessee. She will join the already talented crew of Bulldog hurdlers for 2010. She was fourth in the Tennessee State meet in the 300-meter hurdles last year and holds personal bests of 15.35 in the 100-meter hurdles, 44.79 in the 300-meter hurdles and 65.59 in the 400-meter hurdles.
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:44 am

Did Samford get a new coach or something? I know they've had pole vault in the past, but I don't remember anyone good.

Borntovault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Club Team Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.25
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby Borntovault » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 am

Yeah Rod Tiffin used to be the pole vault coach at Alabama 2 years ago and he brought one of the Alabama vaulters (Patrick Wells, A former teammate in high school). He jumped 5.06 last year and I think he has a year or two of eligibility left. After him they have this new transfer at 5.05, then another guy at 4.75. For girls they were starting from scratch I think last year.
Chris Spear

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Spencer McCorkel from Arkansas to Liberty.

Mike Morrison from Florida to Cal.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Abby Schaffer from Va Tech to Widener (DIII). It doesn't sound like she is planning on doing track, but you never know.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 pm

I noticed that Jaci Perryman transferred from Arizona to Kansas.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:43 am

http://www.kansan.com/news/2010/jan/22/ ... rs/?sports

Transfer pole vaulters make early impact
By Samantha Anderson
Friday, January 22, 2010

The Kansas track team is starting the season with three new female pole vaulters who transferred from different colleges. Each one is ready to make her own contribution.

Two of the vaulters became Jayhawks at the beginning of the fall semester, junior Jaci Perryman and sophomore Alex Colvin. Junior Tara Turnbull is joining the team this semester. Each girl has her own reasons for why starting over again at Kansas was the best choice for them.

Coming out of high school, Kansas was originally an option for Perryman. Tom Hays, vertical jumps coach, recruited her and she was very interested in the program and the opportunity to learn from Hays. However, the distance from her hometown of Phoenix, Ariz., made the transition to Kansas a little too daunting, and Perryman decided to stay closer to home and attend Arizona.

Perryman graduated from Arizona a year early and because she redshirted her freshman year, she still had two more years of eligibility after graduation. She decided to come to Kansas to work on her graduate degree. This gave Perryman the opportunity to utilize her last two years of competition and finally learn from Coach Hays.

“I’ve always wanted to work with him,” said Perryman. “I was excited to get this opportunity to do so. He definitely was a big factor in deciding to come here.”

Perryman is already making a difference. In the last three meets she was the top female pole-vaulter for the team.

“We expect her to be an impact person at conference,” Hays said.

While Perryman was moving farther away from her family, Culvin, of Monument, Colo., was moving closer to home. Culvin’s transfer from San Diego State University brought her closer to her family and also allowed her to join her sister, Kate, on Kansas’ pole vaulting team.

“I saw how much she loved Kansas and just loved competing here and loved everything about Lawrence. It made the decision a lot easier,” said Culvin.

The newest transfer, Turnbull, originally from Chesterfield, Mo., transferred from Purdue after her coach left the school.

“I wanted to go somewhere with a good coach and I did a little research and Coach Hays had quite good credentials so I went here,” said Turnbull.

Coach Hays has experience with transfers and his coaching style gives them time to learn the way they learn best.

“What I do is the first four weeks of the fall I’m trying to learn how that athlete learns and then I’m trying to adapt my coaching style to what they need,” Hays said.

Hays doesn’t cater to the athlete, but he looks at what is the most effective method in getting an athlete to improve, whether it be watching films or learning hands-on. This could be one of the reasons his transfer athletes are making an impact already. Turnbull finished in third place in both the meets she competed in as a Jayhawk.

Each of these girls, all with different backgrounds and reasons for coming to Kansas, all met many of the same difficulties.

One big difference is the practices.

“They are pretty much entirely different from the way that we warm up to the way that we do our mechanical workouts,” Turnbull said.

The changes, while difficult at first, can make the girls better.

“I’m kind of starting from the beginning again being with a new coach,” said Perryman. “So there’s a lot of things that I have been improving that may not show immediately and if I can keep building on that I feel like I’ve had a great start to my improvements.”

Transfer athletes don’t just have to worry about practice. They also must adapt to a whole new campus away from the school that had become their home in the previous years.

Many transfer athletes don’t know anyone on campus and it can be hard to initially branch out.

“At first it was a little difficult to meet a lot of people and go out, so you just have to be outgoing and be open to meeting people,” Colvin said.

With time, however, most athletes discover that Jayhawk spirit.

“As time goes on, you know you just grow,” said Colvin. “You bleed crimson and blue.”

SkyHigh
PV Newbie
Expertise: Middle School Jumper
Lifetime Best: 7'8
Favorite Vaulter: Whitt

Unread postby SkyHigh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Abby Schaffer from Va Tech to Widener (DIII). It doesn't sound like she is planning on doing track, but you never know.

Funny how that worked out, usually these kinds of transfers go D3 so they can participate in more events. When I decided to transfer, the fact that I was receiving repetitive sprained ankle treatment sessions every week led me to believe my injuries might be too much to overcome. In the long run, it was the best idea for me and my ankle to hang up the pole, but boy do I miss it.
WHEEEE!!

xander771
PV Newbie

Unread postby xander771 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:08 am

SkyHigh wrote:When I decided to transfer, the fact that I was receiving repetitive sprained ankle treatment sessions every week led me to believe my injuries might be too much to overcome. In the long run, it was the best idea for me and my ankle to hang up the pole, but boy do I miss it.

it's a pity you had to give it up. though i have similar problem. from time to time i need to treat my ankle as it doesn't seem to work properly but i don't have evough time to have a proper medical check and to be hospitalized
How to Install GSM Repeater. Read here

Return to “Pole Vault - College”