Wes King out for the season (for now)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Wes King out for the season (for now)

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:17 pm

well, as you can see, I got some sh!##y news yesterday. Wes was hoping to start practicing today, but our AD and trainer won't let Wes practice unless they got a clearance form from his doctor. They FAXed one over to his office and got back a reply that he wouldn't clear Wes for strenuous activity until JULY!!!!! Regardless of the fact that he's said Wes's knee is in better shape now than it was for the last three years when he was vaulting. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed, but I'm more disappointed for Wes, especially after his bad luck last year.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:58 pm

Bummer :no:

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:05 am

That has got to be a nightmare for Wes and you. All thoughs years of work. :crying:
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:45 am

I thought he had minor surgery? That really sucks.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:05 pm

I had thought it was too, but I was getting 2nd and 3rd hand information. Up until the first day of practice, my understanding was he had a torn meniscus form his wrestling injury that had been repaired. I was misinformed. He actually was missing cartilage in his knee and the surgery was to clean out the remaining cartilage pieces and to do something to help the cartilage regrow. He's been able to jog, do pool workouts, and ride a bike for a couple of weeks now. I'm just not understanding why the doc won't let him do any until July?

who knows....oh well. This presents a good challenge for my other guys to step up and fill Wes's spot.

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:47 pm

I got a bit more information from our trainer today which makes me understand the doc's assertion a bit better. Wes had 3 small holes drilled into the top of his fibia so the stem cells contained in the bone would leak out into his knee and form a new cartilage pad. Since those holes are still there and won't fully heal until this summer, the doc doesn't want him doing anything that runs the risk of him landing hard on his leg as he runs the risk of shattering the top of his fibia. Can't say it makes me feel any better, but it makes sense. :dazed:

Return to “Washington”