What's your league minimum standard

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

What's your league minimum standard

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:17 pm

Our league meet minimum standard for girls is 9' this year. I think that's a little tough for a HS league meet.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: What's your league minimum standard

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:27 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:Our league meet minimum standard for girls is 9' this year. I think that's a little tough for a HS league meet.

Yeah it is :eek:

polecat
PV Fan

Unread postby polecat » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:48 pm

The high school girl's PV competitions in eastern upstate NY would go pretty quickly if that were the minimum here. It would even take a good bite out of the boy's PV competitions.

I would bet they don't apply the same degree of severity in minimum standards for the other jumping events. For example, what is the minimum for girls high jump? Is there a minimum?

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:53 pm

The crazy thing is that is the average seventh place over the past three years! We are in a relativly small league with several very good vault coaches. The past two years We had a higher opening hieght at the league meet than at the distrct meet (which is the qualifying meet for state). Most of those girls graduated last year however.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 pm

7' for girls

10' for guys

the funny thing about our league is that they have "minimum" starting heights at all league dual meets. For guys, its 9' and for girls its 7'. The geniuses set their "minimum" league starting height at the league qualifying height. I was told that one of the coaches commented that "If they can't make that, they shouldn't be jumping anyway"

a** :mad:
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:29 am

ashcraftpv wrote: I was told that one of the coaches commented that "If they can't make that, they shouldn't be jumping anyway"

a** :mad:

What a ^*&^. We had a coach in our league that would make comments like that. He also didn't think girls should pole vault. Wonder why the school district fired him?

ashcraftpv wrote: The geniuses set their "minimum" league starting height at the league qualifying height.

WTF...only in HS track and field is logic totally ignored.
Last edited by Robert schmitt on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

polecat
PV Fan

Unread postby polecat » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 am

The starting height is 6'6" for both sexes in eastern upstate NY. I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest this mimimum starting height is attracting a "glut" of competitors. We certainly aren't blessed with a "glut" of indoor practice pits or very good pole vault coaches.

I'm sure the league officials thoroughly reviewed all the good and bad points when they set their starting heights, but 9' for high school girls seems high for a league meet.

An invitational meet is a completely different story.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:16 am

I cann't see how they come up with this logic. I personally think that the way they qualify for league is backwards. Why not take the top ten or fifteen best marks in the league? Right now this years class is suffering for haveing a strong group of girls that all graduated. Our league graduated 5 girls with liftime pr's of 12'2", 11'3",11', 10', and 9'. Which is why our min is so high right now.

Our boys min is 11'6" which is still a little on the "high" side but more reasonable in my mind.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Our league is pretty weak, as we have 7 teams, but only 5 of us vault, and Clover Park just started vaulting again last year. Sequim and North Mason come over for our League meet even though they're technically not in our league. I think we had 3 guys over 13' and one girl over 10' last year. That was it. They actually lowered the standard 6" for getting in to league last year, as they didn't have enough kids to fill a fileld of 12, which was good for us as 4 more of my kids were able to jump in the league meet.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:06 pm

Is the district any more difficult. Although Wes makes it to state with his opening hieght on a bad day. :yes:

Glad to here that his leg break is not as serious as it could be. This year or next State Champion!

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:52 pm

not really. the only good vaulter we pick up a districts is the kid from Hazen.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:38 pm

Our opening height for girls is 6 and guys 8, we unfortunately have a large amount of begining vaulters (appx 20 guys and 25 girls each meet), there are only about 5 vaulters for each guys/ girls team that are competitive

Our boys min is 11'6" which is still a little on the "high" side but more reasonable in my mind.

An opening height of 116 seems pretty crazy to me, our regional qualifying is 116

Or maybe I have this definition of league standard mixed up?, its not a phrase we use alot out here
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Washington”