Indoor Track in WA?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Indoor Track in WA?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Received this email today...

State of Washington and Seattle Area Coaches of all levels,

I would like to get together and have an open forum about the progress of our sport in this state. I would like to get a movement going to support indoor track in this state at the High School/Middle School levels (we have 3 indoor tracks in this state that I know about and plenty of schools, athletes, coaches, and parents that would love to do it). I would also like to get cost effective camps and clinics going at every state and private institution in our state.

States like Virginia, Maryland, New York, and New Jersey all have successful high school indoor track. They also get similar weather like the Northwest (but they get the heavy snow).
There are alot of great athletes in this state that don't get the developmental or competitive opportunities because of the weather. The Northeast states compensated by developing a healthy indoor program. But we need people dedicated to building and maintaining it (unfortunately, there won't be many increases in coaching stipends early on). But between UW, WSU, and EWU, and all the high school coaches, athletes, and parents, we can make it work.

In order to do this, we must discuss and plan. We must put together a time table for when this will start, where it will be held, insurance, officials, meet schedule, expenses, etc.

Also, lets make sure we keep it about the athletes and the competition. Let's not turn this into a political power struggle. Everyone can benifit from this.

I propose we meet sometime in November before Thanksgiving break.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

LaMonte Vaughn
University of Washington Track and Field
Sprints and Hurdles
Cell: 859-699-9793
Office: 206-543-7914

Your thoughts?

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:39 am

If it were close to Spokane, i would go to it every day. I support it, and if you need some people form Spokane, let me know.
Just you wait...

Return to “Washington”