Casey Carrigan was part of a special basketball team

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Casey Carrigan was part of a special basketball team

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:03 am

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/c ... tty04.html

Q: What do you know about the 40th-year reunion of Orting and Reardan teams at this year's B tournament in Spokane?

A: It was a special event because their 1966 B tournament championship game remains the only one played between undefeated teams. Reardan, a farm community west of Spokane, won 58-55 in what many old-timers still consider the most memorable B title game.

Orting coach Doug Mac Neil was at the reunion ceremony along with players Rolf Edlund, Casey Carrigan and Mike Carrigan. Casey Carrigan is one of the most remarkable athletes in state history. He still holds the state pole-vault record of 17 feet, 4 ¾ inches, and competed in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics as a high-school junior. He's now a captain in the fire department in Long Beach, Calif.

Reardan was represented by coach Frank Teverbaugh, then-assistant Gene Smith and nine players. Teverbaugh won the 1968 B title at Reardan, then went to Richland, where he won the 1972 4A title (then AAA). Smith succeeded Teverbaugh at Reardan and won titles in 1970, 1971, 1974 and 1982.

Reunion festivities included a friendly pick-up scrimmage and lunch at the home of Larry Soliday, an all-state player for Reardan whose brother, Jack, also was on the team.

"Seeing those darn Soliday guys still hitting nothing but nylon still haunts me," joked Mac Neil.

Return to “Washington”