Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Ede (TX) signs with Texas Tech

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:31 am

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.p ... 8_0_12_0_M

New heights
Harlingen South’s Jared Ede headed to Texas Tech

Joe Hermosa / Valley Morning Star

Christy Espinosa / Valley Morning Star

Former Harlingen South pole vaulter Jared Ede, who won a silver medal at the UIL state track and field championships in Austin this year (top), recenlty signed a letter of intent to compete at Texas Tech University in Lubbock this fall (above).
By ELADIO JAIMEZ
eladioj@valleystar.com
956-430-6285

Harlingen South pole vault coach Arturo Cobarrubias always saw potential in Jared Ede.

When Ede was only clearing 13 feet, 6 inches to start the 2005 track season, Cobarrubias always knew Ede could go higher.

Even if Ede didn’t believe it himself at times.

"He brought me a gift and card on the last day of school," Cobarrubias explained. "On the card he admitted having doubts (about improving his height). He had his doubts but then he started believing in himself."

That’s when his height started improving almost on a weekly basis.

Ede saw his personal best improve by nearly two feet this season, but he never reached one goal he and Cobarrubias set: clearing 17-0.

Not a problem.

The former Harlingen South pole vaulter has four more years to surpass that height in Lubbock.

Ede will continue vaulting as a Red Raider for the Texas Tech track and field team in the fall on partial scholarship.

"I’m looking forward to continue competing," Ede said. "Hopefully I can do well up there and they could increase my scholarship."

Cobarrubias doesn’t seem to think Ede will have any problems at Tech.

"I told him he was gonna surprise himself when he starts his new training," Cobarrubias said. "He’s gonna experience success really quick and I wouldn’t be surprised if goes 17-0 as a freshman. He should have done it this year, the way he progressing."

Ede joins a Red Raider men’s team fresh off a Big 12 Conference championship two weeks ago and Tech program that recently qualified 20 athletes for the national meet in Sacramento, Calif.

Tech is quickly earning a reputation for success in the pole vault under third-year assistant Don D. Hood Jr.

At the 2004 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Tech had five (three men and two women) pole vaulters at the competition.

His father and longtime pole vault coach, Don D. Hood Sr. is considered one of the country’s foremost authorities on training and techniques for pole vaulters and coaches. Hood Sr. currently is in his eighth season as an assistant at his alma mater, Abilene Christian University.

The father-son duo offers camps in pole vaulting, one of which Ede attended last summer in San Marcos.

"We met Don Hood Sr. and they knew he (Ede) was a natural," Cobarrubias said.

Ede gradually raised the cross bar from 13-6 to 14-6 then 15-9 at the Falcons Relays in Los Fresnos.

By this time, St. Joseph Academy’s Jonathan Gulley had already set a new Valley record clearing 16-2 at the Meet of Legends in Brownsville.

Ede became only the fourth vaulter in Valley history to top the 16-feet mark when he cleared 16-0 at the Meet of Champions in Edinburg.

He then scratched one goal of his list when he cleared 16-2 ½ at the District 32-5A meet at Sams Stadium on his first attempt. The mark held through the end of the season.

"We established one of our goals this year," Cobarrubias said referring to the Valley record. "We’re all excited for him here at South."

Cobarrubias felt confident Ede could have cleared 17-0 at the state meet. Instead, Ede cleared 15-6 to win silver in Austin two weeks ago.

"After he cleared 15-0 at state he came up to me and said that was the first time felt nervous," Cobarrubias said. "He didn’t achieve that personal goal, but he’s got four more years. He’ll get it."

Ede is one of three Valley pole vaulters from this season that will compete at Division I programs next fall. And one of five in the past two seasons.

Harlingen’s Kelsea David will attend Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches to compete in the pole vault.

David broke the Valley record clearing 12-3 at the District 32-5A meet in Brownsville, too.

Gulley will continue vaulting at the University of Houston, another program known for their track and field.

Former Valley record holders, Jimmie Heath and Michelle Wiesehan, just completed their freshmen seasons in college.

Heath, who held the record at 16-1 until Gulley topped him this year, signed with McNeese State University last year.

Wiesehan, whose record was surpassed by David, competed at Texas State in San Marcos this season.

Return to “Texas”