Andrew Westover (NH) wins Player of the Year

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Andrew Westover (NH) wins Player of the Year

Postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:43 am

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs ... 007/SPORTS

Player of year: Andrew Westover, Concord
Runner up: Cody Blake, Merrmack Valley

June 28. 2006 8:00AM

A
ndrew Westover, Concord boys' track
A versatile athlete - he ranked first in Class L in the high jump and pole vault, second in the long jump and fifth in the 100 during the regular season - Westover recorded top-five finishes in all four events in the Class L championships and defended his pole vault championship with a mark of 13 feet, 6 inches in the Meet of Champions. He finished ninth in the pole vault, at 13-0, in the New Englands in New Britain, Conn.

(Runner-up: Cody Blake, Merrimack Valley)

Q: What was your greatest accomplishment this year?A: High jumping 6-6

Q: How did competing in the 2006 Meet of Champions as the defending pole vault champion compare to 2005, when you were first going for it?A: It definitely felt like there was less pressure this year.

---ADVERTISEMENT---

Q: What goes through your mind just before an event?A: I really try to clear my thoughts completely; if I don't, I think too much and psych myself out.
Q: What's the bigger thrill: Returning an interception for a touchdown to win the game, or winning a track event to give your team the win?A: That's like comparing apples and oranges, they're on completely different levels.

Q: Are you more nervous before a track meet or a football game?A: I would have to say before a football game, because it seems like the whole high school comes to every game. If you mess up, you really hear about it after.

Q: The Andrew-Mark brother rivalry: fun or serious?A: Both

Q: If you could have any superhero's abilities, whose would you want to have?A: Superman, hands down.

Q: McDonald's or Burger King?A: You can't beat McDonald's dollar menu.

Q: What other sports do you do in your spare time?A: A lot of basketball, but it's hard to think of a sport I haven't tried.

Q: Which state is better: New Hampshire or Texas?A: Umm ... I won't go there.

Q: What's your favorite movie?A: Old School.

Q: What music do you listen to?A: I try to mix it up, anything from classic rock to rap. I might even throw in a little country every once in a while.

Q: If you had $1,000,000, what's the first thing you'd get?A: I would donate half of it to cancer research.

Q: Is there anything in pro sports that you wish people would just stop talking about?A: Barry Bonds.

Q: How avid a track follower (e.g. Olympics) are you?A: I religiously follow the Olympics, but other than that it's hard to find track on TV.

Q: What are your plans for next year?A: I will concentrate on pole vaulting at the University of Rhode Island while majoring in biomedical engineering.

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Postby JumpinSkiing » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:43 am

He's really a great kid. Very inconsistent, and he could've jumped 16 this year, but an all around great kid.

Return to “New England Region”