Chris Cunningham Article (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Chris Cunningham Article (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 pm

OH
http://www.communitypress.com/MiamiTwns ... =4/20/2005
Cunningham aims to vault past goals

By Dave Schutte Contributor

The goals that Chris Cunningham set for the 2005 track season are lofty but achievable.

A junior pole vaulter for the Clermont Northeastern boys' track and field team, Cunningham is focused on breaking the school record of 13 feet set by his father, Greg, during the 1973 track season.

"Pole vaulters aren't allow to practice (OHSAA rules) unless there's a certified coach in attendance," CNE coach Barry Wallace said. "Greg Cunningham is certified and runs practices two-or-three times a week."

To date, Cunningham's highest vault is 11-6, but Wallace is confident that before graduating in 2006, there will be a new school record holder in an event that some feel is too dangerous for high school.

"The pole vault record is CNE's longest standing track record," Greg Cunningham said. "Chris is only a junior but I expect him to break the record this season."

However, Cunningham is discouraged at how many meets don't have the pole vault competition, pointing to the fact that his son has only competed once during the first three weeks.

"We need a warm day for Chris to go over 13 feet," Greg Cunningham said. "He's worked very hard on the 175 pound pole and will start with a 190 pounder later in the season. This is a $300 investment for us because the school only provides one pole."

Coach Cunningham offers his coaching services to many Hamilton and Clermont County schools with one condition.

"I tell the schools that I'll train their kids but they must put in a pole vault pit and add the event to their meets," Cunningham said. "It's a great event but most athletic directors don't want to bother with it."

Cunningham's older son, Joe, holds the Goshen pole vault record of 14-9 while finishing third at the Division II state meet four years ago. Daughter, Elizabeth, holds CNE's female pole vault record of 8-1 set last season.

Return to “Heartland Region”