Summer Clinics

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Summer Clinics

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon May 09, 2005 10:04 am

This thread was also started in News and Announcements thread so bare with!
All,
DJ (Dave Johnston), B (Jim Bemiller), and I (David Job) are planning a 3 day clinic this summer at the University of Tennessee, to address some of the fundamentals of our event. It is intended to be open to all levels of athletes and coaches. DJ will address the essentials of the runup, how to find your steps without overstriding, the essentials of the starting point, mid and takeoff and what factors effect and cause improper execution of these benchmarks. The clinic will be open to all levels of athletes from beginner to advanced and coaches of all levels. Every athlete (middle scool, high school, or collegiate will leave with confirmed steps, mids and takeoff positions specific to 5,7 and anyother number of lefts.

B will address any issues related to coaching the event and which are critical for coaches to develop in their athletes and how they can be accomplished. Those who will benefit from this section will be any coach from middle school to collegiate.

Each athlete and coach will leave with a complete set of training regimens from off season to championship performance peak times. Included in these regimens will be a complete set of pole drills, practice drills, weight programs, and gymnastics routines.

We would like to find out how many folks would be interested in such a clinic. I'd like to use this thread to find out what the interest might be. The dates and costs have not been determined, but we are trying to coordinate the clinic to end on the day that Tim Mack and other elites will be having a meet here at Tennessee.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 09, 2005 12:02 pm

I just want to add.. if you have ever had a run or pole carry problem or want to be FASTER on the approach, I promise you I WILL help you correct your run and show you the means to develop the perfect run for YOU. I will give you every detail as to why curtain things happen, how to avoid plant/takeoff problems caused by the run, and promise… you will walk away with the simplest most logical way to get “THE PERFECT - FAST RUNâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon May 09, 2005 2:01 pm

we haven't set a firm date.. we want feedback from ALL pole vaulters and coaches..

july???

"B" and dave agree... to help the most we have to make it convenient for the most........you're thoughts on when.. will determine the dates

maybe we can call it "SUMMER SUMMIT"

dj

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

question...

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Mon May 09, 2005 3:42 pm

So if this is held, will it be an overnight thing or a daytrip?

How much will it be?

Will it just be on the run and plant and all or on aerial form?

I'm interested, please give more info!!!
suck it up.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

summer clinic

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 11, 2005 6:21 pm

We're making progress. The dates have not yet been set, but July seems tobe the month. We are trying to wait till T Mack's schedule solidifies to coordinate a little elite competition with the clinic. The clinic will allow the attendees to come for just one day or stay for two. The coaches can come and spend the day with Coach Bemiller and stay for the second to see the application of the approach clinic the second day and obtain a complete set of pole drills suitable for their athletes. The athletes can come for a single day working with Dave Johnston and learning about his vast knowledge of the run up. They can also come back the second day and apply the lessons of the first day on the runway. The cost of the clinic for either coach or athlete is $45 for a single day or $75 for both days.
Feedback is appreciated.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

summer clinics

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:30 pm

Our Summer clinic has been scheduled on June 29th here on the University of Tennessee Tom Black Track. That is during the USATF Youth Outdoor Championships. Tim Mack's coach, Jim Bemiller is doing a class room presentation for coaches. Dave Johnston and I are doing an on track clinic showing coaches and athletes how to understand the relationship between grip height, take-off, mids and starting marks and how to obtain their mids, take-off and starting marks specific for each athlete. The athlete will go home with specific information about what their take-off, mid and starting marks are for 5,7 and/or 9 lefts. For further details and registration information PM me through this board.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:59 am

hey gang

the approach run part of the clinic is off.... there wasn't enough interest this time but I/we may try it again in the future...

dj

Return to “Heartland Region”