Bryan Chard Article (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Bryan Chard Article (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:41 am

http://www.centralohio.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... emplate=BE

nday, June 5, 2005
Chard makes prediction a reality

By DENNY McPHERSON
The Marion Star
ADVERTISEMENT

The Marion Star/James Miller

River Valley's Bryan Chard outlasted 15 other qualifiers to take first place in the boys Division II pole vault, clearing a personal-best 15 feet, 3 inches at the state track tournament at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus on Saturday.
COLUMBUS - River Valley High School senior Bryan Chard knew when he was in the eighth grade he would someday win a state pole vault championship.

He's also got written proof.

Chard capped off a sensational prep athletic career Saturday with a Division II pole vault title in the 98th Ohio High School Athletic Association boys state meet.

Chard's final effort of 15 feet, 3 inches in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium further extended his personal, River Valley and Marion County records of 15-1. He set those marks in the recent Central District meet.

Asked afterwards when he first dreamed of winning a state pole vault crown, Chard offered up the following story:

"Last Friday we had our senior breakfast and on the tables were cards with yellow stars on them along with our eighth-grade picture," Chard recalled. "They had handed them out to us in eighth grade, and under the picture it said, 'When I graduate in 2005, I hope to....

"We had to fill in the blank and I wrote, 'win the state pole vault.' I thought then it might come to be and it played out."

Playing it out proved to be difficult for Chard, who also qualified this spring for the state 300-meter hurdles. He did not advance out of preliminaries in that event Friday.

Three times - at 14-6, 14-9 and 15 feet - Chard missed on his first two vault attempts before advancing with successful efforts on his third and final tries.

"Have you seen anything like this?" quizzed Chard's personal coach, Kevin Keller of Prospect.

Chard admitted to cinching up his britches at crunch time.

"Each time I stepped on the runway I thought to myself, 'It's my senior year and my third attempt, so I've got to do it right now,'" Chard said.

Chard hit 15-3 on his second try and then watched Jeff McClurg of Chagrin Falls fail on all three of his attempts at that height.

"I just wanted to do my best and be happy with the outcome," Chard said.

Chard on Saturday used a stiffer vaulting pole than the one he normally uses.

"It takes a while to get adjusted to that pole," Keller said. "We had to adjust his step and his hands."

"The stiffer the pole, the better," Chard said. "We also had a good wind today, and the pole took care of business for me."

A year ago Chard won the regional meet and finished third in the state. This year he won the state after finishing third at the regional.

"It just worked out that way," Chard said. "To be able to get first place is just icing on the cake.

"I knew I would have to vault pretty well here because there were a lot of people who can go high. It just happened to be my day."

A day he foresaw so many years ago.

Return to “Heartland Region”