Zac Holoch

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Zac Holoch

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:11 pm

http://www.yorknewstimes.com/stories/04 ... 4014.shtml

Huff, Holoch, Branz make history at Central City Invite

Junior Spencer Huff shatters 60-year-old record

By Jay Garrison
Sports Writer

CENTRAL CITY -- Zac Holoch doesn't really leap tall buildings in a single bound. It just seems that way. Thursday at the Central City Track Invitational, Holoch increased his state-leading pole vault mark by 10 inches and left the competition in the dust of a windy afternoon. Only Superman could have caught the York senior on this day, but he was busy long jumping.

In the pole vault, Holoch's all-class best of 15' 11" came as a result of some key adjustments Coach Randy Johnson initiated last week. "We moved my handgrip up about nine inches," commented the Duke vaulter. "I switched to a heavier pole (15 feet, 170 lbs.) and worked on my invert in practice. We had a good tail wind, which always helps, and I had some good pulls."

Holoch whipped his rival, Sam Ogden from Grand Island Northwest, by five inches, finding extra motivation on a questionable ruling when the junior topped 15' 6". Because of the wind, two spotters used poles to keep the bar on the standards until each vaulter reached the apex of his jump. On the Northwest vaulter's successful attempt, he brushed the bar and it bounced off the pegs; but it appeared the spotters were late removing their poles and the result was the bar bounced back to rest on the standards again. The effect was the same as tugging on Superman's cape: you may get a response you can't beat.

"We push each other," added Holoch, "but that got me fired up and made me want to go higher." In fact, Holoch went so high that, after breaking the record, his next effort was delayed twenty minutes while the event supervisors rigged the standards to surpass 16 feet. By then the senior had cooled off and just missed on three attempts at 16' 5".

"The biggest reason for the increase in height was shifting Zac's handhold," said Johnson. "It was tough to get good vaults with the old placement, so we moved his hands about nine inches. I imagine the next step will be to move up to the 15' 6" pole. Zac weighs 155 lbs., but he is strong. Good vaulters jump on big sticks. And Zach can go higher."

"I'll get another chance next week at Yowell," concluded Holoch. "I'll be ready to do it at home."

As Holoch continues his progress this season, Coach Johnson may want to scout around town for a taller building or two. Those "single bounds" just seem to be getting higher.

Return to “North and Central Regions”