Megan Harrell Article (WY)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Megan Harrell Article (WY)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:56 pm

WY
http://www.greenriverstar.com/articles/ ... ports2.txt
Harrell to compete Down Under

MEGAN HARRELL SITS smiling after clearing the state qualifying standard 9'3" Saturday in Rock Springs. She is headed to Austrailia to compete in July.

Needs support

By BILL MICKELSON

Sports Editor

Junior Wolf pole vaulter Megan Harrell is headed to Australia later this July to compete with the best of the best Down Under.

"I'm very excited to go," Harrell said of the opportunity many dream about.

She is going on a 13-day trip, spending three days in Hawaii and 10 on the island continent Australia. Of her 13-day journey, four days will be spent competing, with the remainder left for experiencing another part of the world.

Harrell has been training in the vault for many years. From falling backwards to missing the mat, she has done it all, but the love of flight keeps bringing her back.

"It's an adrenaline rush, I love it," Harrell said of her sport. "Being that high in the air is amazing."

Harrell is competing in her third year of GRHS pole vaulting. She has also traveled to and paid for vaulting camps and competitions in Nebraska and Nevada.

Recently at the Rock Springs meet, Harrell qualified for state on her last jump. After wrapping up first place in the event, she missed the qualifying mark, 9'3", twice. On her third attempt she cleared the bar and sat in blissful tears on the mat.

"The most important part of pole vaulting is the approach and the plant," Harrell said. "Sometimes I don't run as fast as I should, that's something I need to work on."

She mentioned the need for technical improvements and the necessity of mastering the invert as keys to success in her next goal of breaking the school record which stands at 10 feet held by Christen Jensen.

She has the love of the sport. Now she needs the money to send her Down Under. Harrell said she has been working and saving to pay for part of the trip. She has also written letters to businesses asking for support and is seeking fundraising.

There will be a spaghetti dinner/dance/auction April 23 at the Eagles Hall in Green River to help out Harrell's cause. The dinner starts at 7 p.m. and will run until 11 with music provided by Music Emotions DJ service.

Return to “North and Central Regions”