Should we vault in or outside?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

sdvaulter06
PV Nerd

Should we vault in or outside?

Unread postby sdvaulter06 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:34 pm

Right now, all my school does is vaults our gym. Do you think it would be a good Idea to take our mats outside and vault outside or not? You never know with the Always changing South Dakota weather, but I thought maybe we should take them outside? Any input would be appreciated! Thank you! Lance
PM me if you know of any vaults around the Midwest!

BrownPV2009
PV Wannabe

Unread postby BrownPV2009 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:41 pm

Thats all about preference. I personally would much rather be jumping outdoors on a sunny day than stuck in a gym facility when everyone else competes outdoors. The obvious setback of outdoors is rain and wind which are a real pain especially in march and april when the weather is completely unpredictable. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:11 pm

how do you vault in your gym do you have a box in the floor

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:07 pm

jump outside.

You should train in all conditions because you will more than likely compete in all conditions. Jump with a crosswind, a headwind, in the rain (but not a downpour or t-storm) and just adjust your vaulting accordingly to remain safe but still jump. that way when you get to the big meets and have less than ideal weather conditions, you're the one jumping and making bars while others are complaining about how bad the weather is.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:36 pm

I say if the weather is on your side or is just tolerable then do go outside,

jump outside.

You should train in all conditions because you will more than likely compete in all conditions. Jump with a crosswind, a headwind, in the rain (but not a downpour or t-storm) and just adjust your vaulting accordingly to remain safe but still jump. that way when you get to the big meets and have less than ideal weather conditions, you're the one jumping and making bars while others are complaining about how bad the weather is

....well, i think you shuld get a few solid jumping days outside just starting in the outdoor season, but after that i don't think you should worry about going in or out, go with what ever is convienient. Your practices shouldn't solely be based on the weather , you want to continue on getting good quality learning and perfection in your technique and staying indoors sometimes wouldn't hurt at all....my 2 cents ;)

sdvaulter06
PV Nerd

yes...

Unread postby sdvaulter06 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:41 pm

lol! Yes we have a pit in our gym :) And btw we don't have indoor season here! Our indoor season is called BASKETBALL :D lol Just outdoor :(
PM me if you know of any vaults around the Midwest!

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:02 pm

I say go out side so you can get the feel of it outside since
thats where your meets are at

Return to “North and Central Regions”