Heather Devine Article (NE)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Heather Devine Article (NE)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 21, 2005 4:12 pm

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2005 ... ports3.txt

Bergan coach praises Devine's effort in vault

By Brett Ellis/Tribune Staff

OMAHA - Heather Devine went from pole vault novice to state meet medalist in just two years.

The Fremont Bergan senior captured fourth place in the Class C girls pole vault at Omaha Burke on Friday by clearing 10-0 - a new Bergan record.

Mallory Pinger of Grand Island Central Catholic and Sarah Kauk of Nebraska Christian both cleared 11-0 to finish 1-2, and Kayla Petersen of Elkhorn Valley was third at 10-4.

"It's exciting because these girls have been doing it for I don't know how long," Devine said. "I started last year and got fourth. I don't think that's bad at all."

Devine competed in the throws her first two years at Bergan before becoming a sprinter and vaulter for the Lady Knights last season.

She qualified for state as a junior, but failed to clear the opening height.

Bergan coach Chris Paulson said Devine's natural athletic ability, combined with a gymnastics background, helped her progress rapidly in the event.

"She's got the natural turning ability, which is a very difficult phase of the event to coach," Paulson said. "She did it naturally, which puts her ahead of a lot of people."

Devine gave a lot of credit to T.J. Folkers, who coaches the event for the Lady Knights.

"He helps me a lot," Devine said. "He never puts me down and he's always there to encourage me."

Devine cleared 9-6 on her first attempt, then established the new school mark on her first try at 10-0.

"I was like an adrenaline rush," she said. "I didn't think I was going to get it, but I did."

Devine narrowly missed at 10-4, skimming the bar on her way down.

Return to “North and Central Regions”