How do you work on swinging?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

VaultChick
PV Newbie

How do you work on swinging?

Unread postby VaultChick » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:01 am

I am new to the wonderful sport of pole vaulting, i just started about 2 weeks ago and i have made some progress. I am having a lot of fun, but i am starting to become discouraged because i have a lot of troulble swinging my legs up and over. Can anyone suggest any tips or stratagies to use to help concentrate on really swinging your legs over. Thanx

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:48 am

Welcome to the world of pole vaulting. If your looking for instant gratification this is not the event.As you continue, you are going to go thru periods of no progress(frustration) and then big breakthru's. You have to look at it as a long term commitment to really improve. Enough of the philosophy.
Simple thing I tell my newbie's. once you take off the ground , your hands need to actively move to your feet/shins.
Stand upright with your arms over your head, bend at the waist and touch your hands to your shins keeping your legs and arms straight. Now do this aggressively and fast. This is the type of movement that needs to happen after takeoff.
See if it helps.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:31 pm

practice, practice, practice!

repetition is the key to mastering any skill. Let's say you can do something right 2 out of 10 times. The next ten, try to do it right 3 times, then 4, and so on. This isn't something you learn in a couple of weeks. It takes some years in order to perfect their technique. DOn't get discouraged if you don't do everything right immediately.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:45 am

ashcraftpv wrote:practice, practice, practice!

repetition is the key to mastering any skill. Let's say you can do something right 2 out of 10 times. The next ten, try to do it right 3 times, then 4, and so on. This isn't something you learn in a couple of weeks. It takes some years in order to perfect their technique. DOn't get discouraged if you don't do everything right immediately.

Hell, I've been doing it 15 years and my technique is a far cry from anything remotely considered perfect! Will you improve though? Absolutely! Persistance, and repetition with incremental adjustments in technique, grip, run, and pole size is the key. Stick with it, you won't regret that you did!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Caseman33
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.38
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby Caseman33 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:28 pm

dont worry itll come. i couldnt swing my leg untill my third year of vaulting. I used to bend my leg. It was acctualy a good transition for me.

~Casey
"the weak survive only if the strong are weaker" -N. Paul Todd

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”