Optimal Grip

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Optimal Grip

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:03 pm

joebro391 wrote:I agree with logic. So when i go into practice, i'd like my coach to say "well, i saw you were taking off under the other day, let's work on getting your take off out and free." NOT "find a run and grab the 16' 145"... I'm a firm believer in the basics, so you and I feel the same about this...{frustrated}

Thanks to everyone for the tips and pointers you've been sharing!! -6P

Also realize that there is a time for working technique, and then there is a time to see what you've learned and get on a longer run. Great coaches see when an athlete is good enough on a drill to get more benefit from trying it from a longer run. Sometimes the only way to get better is to push yourself and try things from a longer run. If you stick at a certain run until its PERFECT, then go back one left and stay on that till its PERFECT, you are in for a long career. Instead, you need to find a balance between perfecting drills and applying them to a longer run. That is why most coaches have a short run day and a long run day (generally) each week.

Trust me, i know what you are going through, but make sure you don't let your own knowledge or thoughts of what you should be doing stop you from getting something out of doing what your COACH wants you to do. You might surprise yourself.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”