"Gymnastics"

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 pm

theczar wrote:I prefer to use much more colorful words like beautiful, amazing, wonderful, elegant, lovely, gorgeous, magnificent, or saying something to the effect of "that dress is very falttering"

Oh yes, that dress is faltering. In fact it's terrible, get a new one.

haha that's how to win a girl's heart.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:58 am

That shirt is absolutely horendous, take it off immediately!!!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 am

jumpbackin wrote:Hey Adam, great videao, btw.

I still want to post it on T-Nation. Waiting for your ok.

as i tell everyone. my videos are for the people. do what you would like too them except take off the saraf productions things. And about this whole topic thing I am impressed how that took off. I am happy that a thread of mine could have such popularity. Keep on posting and make me feel good. :D

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:50 am

Or you could say that publicly calling a person 'hot' is an act of male domination and objectification...
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:25 am

saraf wrote:
jumpbackin wrote: do what you would like too them except take off the saraf productions things.

I don't have a clue how to do that. I'm usually just happy if I can successfully copy and paste a link.

J_Gal
PV Beginner

WOW

Unread postby J_Gal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Well, I haven't returned to this thread since I first commented. I am surprised with the longlasting conversation. I recognize (for whoever said that to some girls there is more than grammer) that a restricted vocabulary does not indicate a reduction of smarts. If the words "beautiful" or even "pretty" are not the first to enter your mind, that is ok. For me, however, if the descriptor I am presented with is "hot" while in the chekcout line of a grocery store, I usually take it as a nice compliment, say thank you, and move along. If I am called pretty, I am more open to an introduction. Simply because the more elegant comment is the unusual. Someone on this thread said that "Damn, you're hot" is what stands out. Well, that is a common comment, the one who makes a sweet gesture is the one that sticks in my mind.
So, rule 1 of pick-up comments 101: If you want a nice girl to respond, use a sweet compliment. If you aren't after the nice girl (it is ok, many are not wanting that right now), then stick with hot. She'll like it more. It is all about what you are after. And yes, Becca and I would smile at "you're hot," but forget you at the same time. A real impression is left more articulately.
And, back to the original claim of grammer: Becca is so correct. Like I said, saying she is "hot" is ok, some girls prefer that. However, spelling You're correctly as opposed to "your," and also spelling "hot" correctly, instead of "hott" is a major plus! Bad use of grammer overrides the intention in almost every instance. So, EIUvlter: Thank you for the compliment. It made me smile!
J_Gal
Dreaming BIG and Aiming Higher

baggettpv
PV Master

J_Gal and Gymnastics

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:53 am

Jessie,
Why don't you let these guys/girls know what you've been doing with the gymnastics training? You've come a long way! And all the kids and myselve are very proud of you! Latest ranking in Track and Field News is 20th US. Only a 26" improvement from the year before.
Next stop Indoor US Nationals.

Coach

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Re: WOW

Unread postby jumpbackin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:39 pm

J_Gal wrote:Well, I haven't returned to this thread since I first commented. I am surprised with the longlasting conversation. I recognize (for whoever said that to some girls there is more than grammer) that a restricted vocabulary does not indicate a reduction of smarts. If the words "beautiful" or even "pretty" are not the first to enter your mind, that is ok. For me, however, if the descriptor I am presented with is "hot" while in the chekcout line of a grocery store, I usually take it as a nice compliment, say thank you, and move along. If I am called pretty, I am more open to an introduction. Simply because the more elegant comment is the unusual. Someone on this thread said that "Damn, you're hot" is what stands out. Well, that is a common comment, the one who makes a sweet gesture is the one that sticks in my mind.
So, rule 1 of pick-up comments 101: If you want a nice girl to respond, use a sweet compliment. If you aren't after the nice girl (it is ok, many are not wanting that right now), then stick with hot. She'll like it more. It is all about what you are after. And yes, Becca and I would smile at "you're hot," but forget you at the same time. A real impression is left more articulately.
And, back to the original claim of grammer: Becca is so correct. Like I said, saying she is "hot" is ok, some girls prefer that. However, spelling You're correctly as opposed to "your," and also spelling "hot" correctly, instead of "hott" is a major plus! Bad use of grammer overrides the intention in almost every instance. So, EIUvlter: Thank you for the compliment. It made me smile!

J Gal, that was so well said, some poor guys might actually believe you!

Rule #2 to pick up chicks; don't ever listen to a girl on how to get a girl. They may mean well but they really don't know. Watch the old movie Tootsie, with Dustin Hoffman. There's a famous sceen that exemplifies this very idea. It's a an exagerated example but still quite true. Very funny too. If you don't know what I'm talking about, rent it. It's good.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 pm

vaulter870 wrote:darn well its ok i am sure there is someone who appreciates more then just good grammer :P

Prove that sometime chris ;) ;)
What have you done today to get better?

J_Gal
PV Beginner

Re: WOW

Unread postby J_Gal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:08 pm

jumpbackin wrote:
J_Gal wrote:If the words "beautiful" or even "pretty" are not the first to enter your mind, that is ok.
So, rule 1 of pick-up comments 101: If you want a nice girl to respond, use a sweet compliment. If you aren't after the nice girl (it is ok, many are not wanting that right now), then stick with hot. She'll like it more. It is all about what you are after.

J Gal, that was so well said, some poor guys might actually believe you!

Rule #2 to pick up chicks; don't ever listen to a girl on how to get a girl. They may mean well but they really don't know. Watch the old movie Tootsie, with Dustin Hoffman. There's a famous sceen that exemplifies this very idea. It's a an exagerated example but still quite true. Very funny too. If you don't know what I'm talking about, rent it. It's good.

Well, they should believe me. I said that if certain words aren't the first to pop in your mind, don't say them. Say the first thing you think of (well, maybe not the first ;) ) because you want a chick that is attracted to your style. My style is not the same as other girls. Some girls want "hot," some don't. And, the reason I have ground to stand on is that I am one of the guys. I see my boys spit game and I laugh, that is why I want something more. I see their intentions and what they say to girls, and I don't want that. So, if you are trying to catch the "professional and eduacted" girl, be professional and educated yourself. If you want the "fun in the sun," "no cares, no worries" girl, don't bother with the extra effort. Just be yourself, and you will attract the right kind of girl. Don't ever change yourself to get another person to like you. They should like you for you....and change you later :D
J_Gal

J_Gal
PV Beginner

gymnastics

Unread postby J_Gal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:27 pm

well, my coach said that I should describe some of my gymnastics training for all of you. This could take a while. There is a lot!
twice a week, after a 2 hour jump session, i do 2 hours of gymnastics. Pullovers (pull-ups, then roll around the bar like a back circle), connected, 3x8. When I say pull-up, then circle, that is generally the motion, but you don't want to actually pause at the pull-up. You want to kind of bi-pass that part. It is more like you are on a roller coaster ride and you are pulling the safety bar down. Your hands rotate from above your head to your hips without coming in close to your chin. Also, when doing these, try to not drag your body up the bar. You don't want your hips to touch until you are coming down on the bar. Then 3x8 drapeovers. These are on the uneven bars. WIth your hands on the upper bar, drape your body over the lower bar as fully extended as you can be. Then bring your feet to your hands on the upper bar, swing back holding that position, and when you swing back forward, drape back over the bar. Next we have 3x8 L-sits (PAIN)! On the P-bars, hold the bars and get upside down. Lower your body down (kind of like a pike, but the goal is to make it very minimal) and continue to lower yourself until you are hanging below the bars with your body bent and the hips at 90 degrees, then row yourself back up. This is a huge tricept and lower ab workout. Then handstands. 8 floor level, adding as much force as possible, against a pit tied against the wall. 8 onto a 8"-ish box. 8 onto a bigger box, 30"-ish. Then handstands onto the handstand push-up handles stacked on top of the big box, with hand-stand push-ups, as many as possible. Also, try to balance on each hand while up there. Take a second to take one hand off at a time, and pull your "off" hand up by your face. Then casts on the low bar, with the goal being to cast to a hand-stand (yeah right, as of now!).
Then we do handstands on the floor, with piroettes. Trying to walk in circles on hands is not easy for me, I was never a gymnast, and I am still trying to learn balance!
Then we move to swing gymnastics. We do highbar, doing giants and free-hip handstands. Also swing-to-handstands on the p-bars, kips on the uneven bars, and swing to invert on the rings. By the time we finish this routine, my training partner and I are just about dead!!! A full practice of this kind, typically takes about 4 hours (including the jump session). On occassion, when we add in other little pieces, it has taken up to 5 hours. Also, on quick recovery days we can get it done in 3.5 ish hours.
It is a very hard practice, but very worthwhile. I am learning to row more aggressively, and swing more precisely without actually focusing on those pieces on the runway. This training regiment programs my body to vault better without thinking about it. It is awesome, because my vault keeps getting better, and I am not chaning antying in my jump practices. I am just getting on bigger poles because of my growing strength, and jumping higher because of the technique I am learning off of the runway. It is a great feeling getting better, and I am hoping I keep improving! My sophomore year of college I went 11'6," last year, doing Rick Baggett's workouts, I improved to 13'8." That is a huge improvement for a junior in college, or any age vaulter. This year, I am working with the intent of another improvement. And Rick's gymnastics routine has made all of the difference.
J_Gal

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: gymnastics

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:34 pm

J_Gal wrote:Then 3x8 drapeovers. These are on the uneven bars. WIth your hands on the upper bar, drape your body over the lower bar as fully extended as you can be. Then bring your feet to your hands on the upper bar, swing back holding that position, and when you swing back forward, drape back over the bar.

These are old-school uneven bars, super close together, so when you are holding the high bar and facing the low bar, when you put your legs over the low bar it hits at the upper hamstrings or so.

I'll try and get some video soon.

Next we have 3x8 L-sits (PAIN)! On the P-bars, hold the bars and get upside down. Lower your body down (kind of like a pike, but the goal is to make it very minimal) and continue to lower yourself until you are hanging below the bars with your body bent and the hips at 90 degrees, then row yourself back up. This is a huge tricept and lower ab workout.

I got some video of this that I will try to get up in the next few days.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”