10 things everyone should consider while lifting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

10 things everyone should consider while lifting

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 am

This is not supposed to be the all encompassing guide to the weight room, but I thought it would be nice to give you guys something to think about when you're lifting.

1. Whatever you are the worst at is the most important thing you need to work on

This may seem obvious but its incredible how often I see this rule broken. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone ask me a question like:

"What is the best way to increase my vertical jump?"

"Um do jumping exercises?

If you can long jump 22' but only pole vault 8', well then you don't need to worry a whole lot about the weight room or the track. You just need to learn to vault. But if you have good form, and a good run, then you really need to improve your speed and jumping ability.

2. Pole vaulters (and all athletes for that matter) are not Bodybuilders.

I've harped on this in my other posts as have other people, but a lot of kids don't know what this means. Basically, bigger muscles do not necessarily equal stronger muscles. Bodybuilders train at a low intensity and high volume. This forces their muscles to enlarge or hypertrophy. However most of the mass that is gained is water and increased substrate(muscle food) storage. This is a logical adaptation for a muscle that is doing a lot of work. Pole vaulters on the other hand don't need increased substrate storage. Our event lasts like 6 seconds! If you are running out of energy in the vault, you should have your thyroid checked (half joking).

Pole vaulters need high intensity/low volume. You should not be doing a ton of exercises. HOWEVER, due to the intense nature of our sets, we will need sufficient rest. Some people claim that since we are the opposite of bodybuilders, we should be in the weight-room for a very short time since bodybuilders lift for long periods of time. This is not accurate. Bodybuilders should spend more time per hour actually lifting relative to a pole vaulter who should spend more time resting in-between sets. Most (maybe 99%+) high school and college jumpers are over-volumized. Our event does not require much if any conditioning so lifting/running in a fatigued state is not necessary.

Bodybuilders also utilize a lot of single joint movements. Examples of these would be biceps curls, leg curls, pec flys, and calf raises. Most vaulters would be wise to avoid all single joint exercises except MAYBE for the off-season or to address an injury or muscular imbalance. Which leads me to my next point...

3. Multi-joint exercises are the way to go

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead press, Chins... This is what your workout should mainly consist of. These lifts incorporate a lot of muscles which allow you to lift pretty heavy weights. Heavy weights are more of an "overload" (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/glos ... ad_def.htm) than light weights. Also these exercises force you to coordinate muscle groups whereas single joint movements do not. They also strengthen the muscles not actively contracting during the movement via a strong isometric contraction.

4. Pole vaulters are not Power-lifters

No one cares how much you squat, bench, or deadlift. If your form is good, you've been lifting pretty consistently for more than a few months, and you can lift "a lot,"then its likely that the power lifts aren't going to be as super important to you anymore. Sure you should still do them, but now it's more about maintenance. Your new goal is to increase RFD (Rate of Force Development), otherwise known as power. This is done by doing powerful exercises, which brings me to my next point...

5. Pole vaulters are not Olympic lifters.

This is going to be the point I get the most heat about. But its true. And every top strength coach/track coach I've ever heard of shares this view. Joe Defranco, Charlie Francis, Tudor bompa, Yuri Verkhoshansky, etc. They are all astounded by the United States' obsession with olympic lifting. Are olympic lifters powerful? Yes. Will olympic lifting make you more powerful? Yes. Is it the best way to increase power? No. Olympic lifts have two major drawbacks.
(1) They are hard. Unless you already have great form, a pole vaulter's time could be spent in a much more productive manner than learning another sport.
(2) They only work against inertia. There is no prestretch in the clean or snatch. They both start as a powerful concentric contraction. However in running and jumping, every step except the initial one is preceded by a prestretch of the relevant muscles which enables the body to utilize the myotatic stretch reflex. Performing exercises that utilize this are much more "specific" (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/glos ... ty_def.htm) than olympic lifts and easier to do!

6. Shock training is the best way to develop power

Shock training refers to what is commonly called plyometrics. This includes but is not limited to, box jumps, depth jumps, altitude jumps, and bounding. Box jumps are where you start on the floor and jump up onto a box. Depth jumps are where you drop off of a box, land on the ground, then immediately jump up as high as you can to a higher box. Altitude jumps are where you jump off a very high platform and land without a subsequent jump. And bounding is bounding. Box jumps/Vertical jumps are the least intense of all plyometrics so they should be done first. Yuri Verkhoshansky (someone you should trust, he only pioneered periodization) recommends a progression of Box jumps, Barbell exercises, jumps with weights (preferably kettlebells), then finally depth jumps. This doesn't mean you can't do more than one at a time, this should simply be the order in which they are introduced in the program.

7. How to alter volume/intensity when doing jumping exercises

This is probably what a lot of people get caught up on. Most people know that they should be doing plyos, but what kind? and how much? when should I do them? How should I do them? I already touched on the progression. But thats the tip of the iceberg. How much and when should you do them are based on where you are in your year (off-season, pre-season, in-season, etc.) and your workload capacity/preparedness. Basically the closer to where you are trying to peak, the more plyos should be a part of your training until the tapering phase. As far as week by week planning, you should perform plyos the same days you lift. You dont want to lift Monday, do plyos Tuesday, Sprint Wednesday, Lift Thursday, Do plyos Friday, and have a meet on Saturday. All these things are stressful to the CNS and 24 hours is nowhere near enough time to recover. Lifting, sprinting, and plyos should be done the same day followed by at least one rest day. A more realistic outdoor season training schedule would be.
Monday: Plyos, Sprint, lift
Tuesday: Short run work/easy day
Wednesday: active rest
Thursday: Plyos, Sprint, lift
Friday: short run work/easy day
Saturday: Competition
Sunday: active rest

Now a lot of you are going to think that is a very low volume. But the jumps are about as high intensity of a sport as you can get, and intensity is inversely related to volume. Just because the norm is to practice 3 hours a day/6 days a week does not mean it is correct. Off-season, pre-season and early in-season can be a bit less intense with more conditioning type work in the form of tempo runs and interval training, however once you are getting close (within a couple months) of when you want to jump the highest, you should really try to tailor your training to resemble your sport as much as possible.

As far as volume, its very dependent on the athlete and the type of exercises you do. I would recommend for a beginner no more than 60 ground contacts per session to start out (each jump would be 1 ground contact). As far as intensity, follow the progression I outlined. However once you get to depth jumps, don't get carried away. Work your way up to about 30" inches but don't go any higher than that. 36" and 42" depth jumps are too high for you to rapidly rebound from. They are better for athletes that have to overcome a great external resistance, such as football linemen or throwers.

8. Not all athletes are prepared for all exercises

The "fitness industry" preaches the exact opposite of this. They love incorporating plyometrics in the form of cardiovascular activity into the workouts of ordinary untrained people because it makes it sound advanced. However plyometrics done in high volume to the point of cardiovascular activity is very taxing and almost guarantees over-training right off the bat. The soviets had a thing they called the 3 year rule where they wouldn't even put a barbell on a kids back until 3 years of general conditioning and low intensity jumping exercises, so why do we have 40 year old secretaries doing plyos? The same goes for young athletes. Don't perform an exercise until you're ready. The vast majority of young athletes today (even up to college aged pole vaulters since most high school strength and conditioning programs suck) have very weak hamstrings and many have inflexible hip flexors. This causes some kids to have hyperlordosis and throwing barbell on their back just exacerbates the problem. I would recommend an initial program of primarily accessory exercises for beginning lifters. These include upright sled drags (everyone should do these), glut-hams, reverse hypers, hypers, band good mornings, and pull-throughs. After about 6 weeks of this, hamstring strength should be significantly improved enough to begin squatting.

9. Leg curls suck

Easy one. Knee flexion against resistance occurs about never in the real world. Your hamstrings role in running, jumping, tackling, etc. is extension at the hip, not knee flexion. So the SAID principle says we should work it in that way, and who am I to argue with an acronym?

10. Don't take SAID too far!

Oops. If you don't know what SAID is, look it up. Basically don't get carried away in the weight-room trying to make your exercises mimic the pole vault. You will never be able to apply force in the weightroom the exact same way you do in the vault. And even if you get close, you probably aren't recruiting enough muscle fibers to illicit an adaptation anyway. You don't want to do this because slight differences in the two movements can screw up your body's firing patterns in the vault itself. Basically your body doesn't like learning to do two different things that are very similar. Try playing racquetball after playing tennis or running on a track after running on a treadmill for a while and you'll understand. When you're in the weight room, use exercises that recruit a lot of muscle fibers and get you strong. Learn to use that strength on the runway, don't get too creative.
Last edited by EIUvltr on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If he dies, he dies"

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: 10 things everyone should consider while lifting

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:38 am

Very well written ... well done! :yes:

I have only 2 comments ...

EIUvltr wrote:... Lifting, sprinting, and plyos should be done the same day followed by at least one rest day. A more realistic outdoor season training schedule would be.
Monday: Plyos, Sprint, lift
Tuesday: Short run work/easy day
Wednesday: active rest
Thursday: Plyos, Sprint, lift
Friday: short run work/easy day
Saturday: Competition
Sunday: active rest

1. I realize that this thread is about lifting, but in your suggested weekly training schedule, you never mentioned gymnastics once. In fact, in your entire post, you never mentioned the relationship of lifting vs. gymnastics at all ... like comparable drills for training certain muscle groups. When you mentioned "don't get carried away in the weight-room trying to make your exercises mimic the pole vault.", I thought you might be leading into a suggestion that highbar and rings were better for that (for the parts of the vault once your feet leave the ground) ... but you disappointed me. :(

I think you should either include gymnastics in your weekly schedule, or explain why it's absent. You might also mention the age level that your weekly plan is designed for. My personal opinion is that HS vaulters should be MOSTLY (if not all - during the outdoor season) gymnastics, and college vaulters should be fairly well balanced between lifting and weights. I don't think weights help HS vaulters that much in-season ... especially if there's plenty of technique to be learnt (and not much time to learn it).

EIUvltr wrote: ... Pole vaulters on the other hand don't need increased substrate storage. Our event lasts like 6 seconds! If you are running out of energy in the vault, you should have your thyroid checked (half joking).

... Our event does not require much if any conditioning so lifting/running in a fatigued state is not necessary.

2. I beg to differ. There's 2 reasons why vaulters need to be in good physical condition. First, they need to be able to withstand a gruelling training program without getting tired or injured ... and secondly, they need to be able to stay warm and sustain their energy level and technique thru meets that are sometimes 2-3 hours long. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Relax Kirk, I think he was talking more about how the CNS should be trained. He left out some things, like gymnastic work, stretching, hurdle mobility, abs, med balls, etc; but you should be able to figure out what days to do these based on how taxing they are to your body and CNS... Obviously you could stretch and do abs everyday, and as far as gymnastics go it would depend on what you are doing and how intense the exercise is to you.
Kirk I know your training obsession deals with "gymnastic" work, others would be long jump work, and pole runs- (Petrov). I think the author gave a good example of what your training week should look like, obviously you can plug in your other training exercises with the day it would correlate to.

Eiuvaulter what do you think of this??
Monday: Plyos, Sprint, lift - HIGH INTENSITY
Tuesday: Short run work/easy day- MEDIUM INTENSITY
Wednesday: active rest - LOW INTENSITY
Thursday: Plyos, Sprint, lift - HIGH
Friday: short run work/easy day - MEDIUM
Saturday: Competition- MED TO HIGH
Sunday: active rest - LOW

Other training activities- Gymnastics (MED?, depending), Abs (LOW), Stretching (LOW), Pole runs (MED), Hurdle Mobility (LOW), Long Jump (MED), Med balls (MED to HIGH), ETC...... I think you can use an RPE scale of 1-10 to determine how high Intensity the exercises are to you.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

1. I realize that this thread is about lifting, but in your suggested weekly training schedule, you never mentioned gymnastics once. In fact, in your entire post, you never mentioned the relationship of lifting vs. gymnastics at all ... like comparable drills for training certain muscle groups. When you mentioned "don't get carried away in the weight-room trying to make your exercises mimic the pole vault.", I thought you might be leading into a suggestion that highbar and rings were better for that (for the parts of the vault once your feet leave the ground) ... but you disappointed me. :(

Yes Kirk, Gymnastics would be included in this training plan. I said in the first line that it wouldn't be an all-encompassing guide. As far as where it belongs in your training, Kyle brings up a good point. It is very dependent upon how intense gymnastics are to you personally. If you are in good shape with a solid gymnastics background, then you could incorporate them during your easy days. If you are very weak, then gymnastics should be the bulk of your upper body lifting on your hard days. Remember the 3 year rule I mentioned? However gymnastics are like most other training means. Their effectiveness runs out the better you get at them (law of diminishing returns).

I think you should either include gymnastics in your weekly schedule, or explain why it's absent. You might also mention the age level that your weekly plan is designed for. My personal opinion is that HS vaulters should be MOSTLY (if not all - during the outdoor season) gymnastics, and college vaulters should be fairly well balanced between lifting and weights.

Again, I'd have to agree with you. Most athletes don't come into 9th grade with the athletic/conditioning background that Bubka did. So the 3 year plan would suggest that we don't have these guys do max effort lifts til about Senior year. HOWEVER, the 3 year plan was originally designed for kids younger than 14-15 (due to the fact that the USSR started athlete training at a young age) so I would modify this for high school athletes since puberty does assist in strengthening muscles, increasing bone mineral density, etc. So for high school aged freshmen, a training plan consisting of accessory type exercises done with relatively high reps (kinda like a bodybuilder, eek) along with gymnastics would be terrific. After freshman year it would be a judgement call by the coach. Some kids are still going to be scrawny 90lbs 4'11" weaklings. Some are going to be 6'2" 190. You will have to decide if they are ready for heavy lifting.

My personal opinion is that HS vaulters should be MOSTLY (if not all - during the outdoor season) gymnastics, and college vaulters should be fairly well balanced between lifting and weights. I don't think weights help HS vaulters that much in-season ... especially if there's plenty of technique to be learnt (and not much time to learn it).

I'm not so sure I agree with the last part. Like I said earlier, many kids have extremely weak hamstrings which makes correct running form almost impossible. This in turn makes a good run impossible which makes a good takeoff impossible which makes a good vault impossible. The same goes for inflexible hip flexors and weak abdominals. I think the exercises I listed such as upright sled drags are a great addition to any athlete's program.

2. I beg to differ. There's 2 reasons why vaulters need to be in good physical condition. First, they need to be able to withstand a gruelling training program without getting tired or injured ... and secondly, they need to be able to stay warm and sustain their energy level and technique thru meets that are sometimes 2-3 hours long. :confused:

Developing a base is what the off-season and pre-season are for. Plus the cumulative effect of many vaulting sessions will have a conditioning effect. As far as sustaining their energy level, that is more of a nutrient balance thing. Also as I said, a pole vaulter's training shouldn't be grueling. Intense yes, but not grueling.

Yup, this is pretty much what I was getting at. Also, I'm not suggesting you do plyos, sprints, and lift every Monday/Thursday. Someone who doesn't have the work capacity might want to pick 2 of the 3 and cycle them.
Last edited by EIUvltr on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If he dies, he dies"

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

EIUvltr wrote:

Yup, this is pretty much what I was getting at. Also, I'm not suggesting you do plyos, sprints, and lift every Monday/Thursday. Someone who and doesn't have the work capacity might want to pick 2 of the 3 and cycle them.

well said.

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:02 pm

How would one lean out their upper body? When I say lean out I mean that I have big muscles, and I want smaller muscles, or at least to not have them get any bigger. I don't need to worry about burning fat. Would doing upper body circuit exercises with light weights in the 12-15 rep range help me lean out while correcting and preventing muscle imbalance?
-Nick

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:05 pm

How would one lean out their upper body? When I say lean out I mean that I have big muscles, and I want smaller muscles, or at least to not have them get any bigger. I don't need to worry about burning fat. Would doing upper body circuit exercises with light weights in the 12-15 rep range help me lean out while correcting and preventing muscle imbalance?

I have this problem also since I am 5'11 190 and low body fat I have been trying to figure out how to loose weight and stay strong. My best suggestion is do nothing accept incline bench and high bar with your arms. Any other arm muscle you develop is just waisted strength in the vault. No use to try to lean out your muscle, You want to be strong only in the places you need to be strong. It's about how your muscle is distributed. Also you should never do more with your legs then 5 reps so at your highest volume 5 sets of 5, and with plyos never more then 8-10. Higher reps then this can slow down your CNS.

---Kasey

EIUvltr
PV Pro

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 pm

kcvault wrote:

I have this problem also since I am 5'11 190 and low body fat I have been trying to figure out how to loose weight and stay strong. My best suggestion is do nothing accept incline bench and high bar with your arms. Any other arm muscle you develop is just waisted strength in the vault. No use to try to lean out your muscle, You want to be strong only in the places you need to be strong. It's about how your muscle is distributed. Also you should never do more with your legs then 5 reps so at your highest volume 5 sets of 5, and with plyos never more then 8-10. Higher reps then this can slow down your CNS.

---Kasey

Ok fine I'll reply to this. Making blanket statements like "you should never do more with your legs than 5 reps" is exactly the type of thing I wanted to avoid. Perhaps this is true for a highly trained athlete when doing max effort lifts (squat, box squat, deadlift, etc.) but many athletes require higher reps to start off to encourage connective tissue development and because they just aren't put together well enough to endure that heavy of a load. Also performing accessory exercises with reps no more than 5 can be potentially harmful. Hyperextensions for instance should rarely be done with an intensity that only allows five reps before failure. As far as "slowing down your CNS" goes, this is just unfounded and ridiculous. Your CNS responds to intense activity. If you perform max effort lifts then your CNS will adapt to them. Plyos will also illicit an adaptation from the CNS. Including some higher rep accessory exercises in your program will not hamper your power. If this were true, then any submaximal activity would have the same effect. By the same logic you could say "dont type on a keyboard, because its not intense enough and will slow down your CNS."
Last edited by EIUvltr on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If he dies, he dies"

EIUvltr
PV Pro

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:30 pm

IAmTheWalrus wrote:How would one lean out their upper body? When I say lean out I mean that I have big muscles, and I want smaller muscles, or at least to not have them get any bigger. I don't need to worry about burning fat. Would doing upper body circuit exercises with light weights in the 12-15 rep range help me lean out while correcting and preventing muscle imbalance?

Sadly this is probably just your body type. Lifting in the 12-15 rep range is not the answer and will most likely result in hypertrophy. Talk to Kyle about losing weight, its no easy process if your body is naturally heavy. It involves cutting a lot of calories in order to put your body in a catabolic state to "burn" muscle. And what muscle imbalance are you talking about? You're an experienced vaulter, I doubt you have any outstanding muscle imbalances.
"If he dies, he dies"

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I have constant back pain around my should blades and radiating into my neck. I'm sure its a combination of many things, dehydration used to be one of them but I've corrected that. Cyropractic appointments and deep tissue massage would probably help, but I can't afford the cost at the moment. Yeah I've tried cutting calories, and I did lose weight, but my training suffered severely. I think I'm better off being 170-175 lbs and able to vault with energy, and being faster than being 160-165 lbs if that means I have 0 energy. Is the 170-180 lbs range too heavy for pole vault (General consensus on this board seems to be that I'm too heavy, but I don't really know what to do other than keep training the way I'm training and hope that my explosiveness continues to increase with no weight gain)?
-Nick

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh, and thank you for the topic and your replies. I think having this information when I was in high school would have accelerated my vaulting career, instead of putting me in a position where I'm playing catchup like I am now.
-Nick

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Well done, EIUvltr,

Maybe we should retitle this thread "Weight lifting manifesto."

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”