13 year old boy 4.25m

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

13 year old boy 4.25m

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm

hye

i had a young boy that just turned 13 last month jump 4.10 yesterday and ran out of poles.

he jumps again in three weeks.. and i have a couple of new poles coming from OnTrack..

actually his dad taught him to vault i just cleaned up his run..

he was gripping 4.10 and blowing through with the standards all the way back..

his goal is 4.50 this year.. it's intersting when they are that young going up by a foot and a half doesn't phase him..

three weeks from now will be fun.. that stadium should have no wind or favoring wind.. this meet had a head wind that calmed as it got later in the evening..

dj
Last edited by dj on Thu May 19, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 13 year old boy 4.10m

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Where are you now DJ?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm

hye

i had rather not say on here just yet but his father wants him to come to the US and attend high school.... i'm working on a sponsor family, they have some US connection and i'll help them get the right place and right coach.

dj

PS.... it was in a meet..

PSS.. i did work with him two years ago when he was just learning and his father was a decathlete and has been my assistant in the decathlon for over two years.

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Unread postby atlegu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:11 pm

The unofficial world record for 13 years old boys are 4.30 !

4.30 14- 1 1/4 István Bagyula HUN 2 Jan 69 Budapest 4 Sep 82
4.30 14- 1 1/4 Thomas Cornu FRA 16 Feb 82 Bourgoin-Jallieu 25 Sep 95
4.30 14- 1 1/4 Lucas Brenen AUS 6 Nov 89 Adelaide 1 Nov 03
4.30i 14- 1 1/4 Panayotis Laskaris GRE 10 Mar 92 Athens 12 Feb 06

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 am

good morning,

the WR is good info.. thanks

and to no ones surprise that knows me.. his 6 step "MID" for the 4.10 grip was right at 13.75/45 feet.

his dad wanted to move his step out but i suggested he stay where he was (i didn't want him to stretch) but just get his feet down over the last six, with an errct posture and high plant...

he has grown 4/5 inches taller in the two years since i last worked with him..., is very physically strong and does all the events..

i think Earl Bell may have jumped 13-8 when he was 14???

Since his Dad is a national coach he may travel with us this summer and get to jump more...

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 am

good morning,

jumped yesterday.. pretty ugly left cross wind.. but he managed well.. jumped 4.15 and took three shots at 4.35m..

still a hodge-podges of poles.. had to go to a 4.50 with a 4.15 grip.. pressed but went after the bar each time.. but not enough penetration.. couldn't bring the top over....

new poles next week and another meet in 2 weeks..

he triple jumps today... a 13 year old in the Youth, under 17 meet... he smiles and loves the sport...

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:39 am

good morning,

up date...

the young man made 4.20 last Wednesday... cleared on his first jump... bigger pole and caught a calmer head wind..... took three shoots at 4.35... Ugly right quarter head wind coming through the opening in the northwest corner of the stadium.....still a hodge-podge of poles.. the new ones should be here this week..

he is on a 7 left/14 step run.. his "MID" is right at 46 feet... just getting his run out and fast.. we will work twice a week for two weeks on 8 lefts/16 steps...

he will jump again in three weeks and then we go to Germany for June, July...

i think he has grown 2cm taller in the last 3 weeks!!!

dj

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Got any videos?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 am

hey

i have video....

by the way.... i "mentioned" the "MID", not because i "make" him hit a curtain "MID"... or any athlete for that matter...

a 46'/actually 14 meter "MID" (when runnigncorrectly- which we all should teach and enforce).. tells me his "potential" ...based on his current speed.

his "mid" for the first 4.10 meet was 13.75 meters. all three of these meets have been with a 7 left/14 step run.. yesterday we practiced this run and a 8 left/16 step run... i used a 14.30 meter "mid" for this practice run.. he had excellent "turn over-posture and an early plant...

hopefully (i am actually sure from experience) by running this twice a week as speed work.... he will use the 8 left/16 step run without even thinking about it....
his practice runs yesterday were awesome because he "trust" what we are doing, because it "feels" correct to him.... and that is because it is natural and physics based.

i also DID NOT know his grip throughout the meet ,other than to tell him to grip "up" or down based on what he needed or the pole we were trying to use.

we did pole runs with the 4.50/145 that he jumped on in the meet.... i asked him where his grip was for the 4.20 jump....????

4.18!!!!!! ; ) hummmm

he jumps on April 20... in the same stadium.. with the weather changing toward summer we may get a little tail wind over the east side of the stadium... we jump from east to west...

dj

ps about comparing my LJ and PV charts... they are not correlated to each other... a long jumper runs horizontally, leaves the ground with no added force after TO, and lands as far as his speed and land technique will take him.... a pole vaulter runs horizontally, leaves the ground and has to not only travel the distance from takeoff to the bar plain horizontally but vertically as well.... the vaulter can add force by swinging.. how much depends on the speed (continuous)of the swing the length of the radius of the swing, distance x time....

i haven't checked my long jump numbers by the USATF long jump data but i'm pretty sure i'm close based on "physics' and 40 years of experience... plus i have used a 45 foot "MID" in the long jump and jumped 25 feet... in 1970....

and yes i have done some "comparisons"... years ago... first when women started vaulting i compared the men's world top 10 100-LJ to men's PV... i compared the womens 100-LJ and extrapolated that the women should be jumping 17-3

can there be or is there a correlation between LJ and PV??? Yes because of the runway speed… what is it exactly??? I'm haven't done the 'detailed work to know that… yes I have an idea based on Bell, Tully and Roberts 35 years ago .. BUT like i said the charts were created independently with one primary piece of data.

the SPEED, Stirde length x stride frequency , needed in each event, seprate of each other, to perfrom a given height or distance....

invert07
PV Nerd

Unread postby invert07 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 am

Hey dj!

This kid sounds like the real thing, could you post a video of some of his more recent jumps?

Thank you! And best of luck to the both of y'all the rest of the season.
sic 'em!!

Today, talent alone is not enough.

-sergey bubka-

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 am

hye

thanks for the interest....

He jumped two weeks ago with the new poles... the conditions were.. actually scary.. with the wind..(seems that way all over the world)

he exploded over 4m on his biggest 4.30 pole with the standards all the way back... just a poor plant and quick "flip" swing because of a sudden side wind burst...

his first 4.45 pole was too big of a gap from the 4.30, with no chance to raise his grip... especially with the swirling winds... he took three jumps but neither was more than keeping himself from getting hurt..

he jumps in two weeks.. and then again in 3 weeks... i have worked on a longer run... but with the current wind at both location i might even move him up on his run and jump on the 4.30 pole..

i don't want to post until he jumps 4.35 and/or gets his jumps more consistent with the right series of poles...

we go to Germany June 1 to July 30... we will have fun.. he doesn't have school and can "hang" out... watch.. learn and enjoy the experience..

he doesn't turn 14 until this coming Jan 4…

he trains with our decathletes and long jumped 6.20 a couple of weeks ago...

i will put up a vid .. just want it to be respectable...

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu May 19, 2011 5:38 am

up date...

we jumped yesterday... very good day..

good (great) jumps, clearances at 4.15 and 4.25.. i had to coach some long jumps and didn't get back to the pit area until his 4.25 jumps.. made a slight grip/plant adjustment and he was back in sink...

unfortunately when the bar was raised to 4.35 there was a 30 minute "break".... he got a little kool and had to much thinking time..

crushed his "next' to biggest pole.... actually because of an aggressive poor takeoff.. but he wanted to go bigger.. the standards were on 80 the whole night...

i decided it didn't hurt to use it as a "learning tool" and to get some film.. .. i felt with how he came back from the break our chances had gone way down..

letting him share in the process and some choices, is how i have coached him from the begging... succeed or fail we "post' analyze our choices.. ....

was it me not knowing where his mind was or him not experienced enough to see the picture i was seeing...

he took the big one.. 14-7 165 ... standards still at 80.. grip the same.. poor plant-poor up impulse.. over bend... slower swinger hit it going up..

he may post them on YouTube.. i know he will probable put them on face book..

we jump again next week same venue... then we go to Germany for two months...

i'll keep you posted..

this should get you there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpI6YQGO6yY

dj

ps.. his birthday is Jan 4 so he will have plenty of time.. i think he will jump 4.50 this summer.. his birth is well documented.. he still has his smooth no hair baby face...

and he actually got too serious yesterday and i/he let the pressure get to him... we have talked to much and have had to much time to think "world record"..
but he still has the internal chemistry, naturally, to adjust and still be happy.. he never goes "too" too deep mentally.. jumping is a passion but supper fun for him...

PSS my "second" best long jumper jumped 8.01 last night..

Return to “Pole Vault - International”