Reno Hilton or Grand Sierra Resort

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
User avatar
skyshark177
PV Pro
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:41 am
Expertise: College Coach
Location: Michigan

Reno Hilton or Grand Sierra Resort

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 am

Anyone notice that the Hilton is now the Grand Sierra Resort?
Looks like it's under new management.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:54 am

I wonder if this will make it easier to get internet in the theatre for the live competition.


Yeah right. I wish.

User avatar
skyshark177
PV Pro
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:41 am
Expertise: College Coach
Location: Michigan

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:08 pm

I could do extensive research on the company and find out for you. But, since it was a buy-out, merger or even some kind of a take-over, they probably don't even have the funds to boost the bandwidth if it was needed.
lol
It was kind of cool to be located in a hotel with a name like Hilton.
I don't know.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:45 pm

skyshark177 wrote:I could do extensive research on the company and find out for you. But, since it was a buy-out, merger or even some kind of a take-over, they probably don't even have the funds to boost the bandwidth if it was needed.
lol
It was kind of cool to be located in a hotel with a name like Hilton.
I don't know.


They purposely did not have internet there so they could charge insane amounts of money if you wanted it there. It wasn't an issue of them not being able to have it.

User avatar
skyshark177
PV Pro
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:41 am
Expertise: College Coach
Location: Michigan

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
skyshark177 wrote:I could do extensive research on the company and find out for you. But, since it was a buy-out, merger or even some kind of a take-over, they probably don't even have the funds to boost the bandwidth if it was needed.
lol
It was kind of cool to be located in a hotel with a name like Hilton.
I don't know.


They purposely did not have internet there so they could charge insane amounts of money if you wanted it there. It wasn't an issue of them not being able to have it.


ohya, I remember that. You could only use it for like 24 hours or something and then renew it via their poxy server or something.

I wonder if it will remain the same with the new owners. hmm?

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:00 pm

skyshark177 wrote:ohya, I remember that. You could only use it for like 24 hours or something and then renew it via their poxy server or something.

I wonder if it will remain the same with the new owners. hmm?


Yeah that part wasn't bad. They purposelly did not let the wireless internet reach into the theatre. They wanted like thousands of dollars if you wanted an internet hookup in there.

vballcoach
PV Nerd
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: bloomington, indiana

Unread postby vballcoach » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 pm

Is the Grand Sierra the place to stay or is there other hotels that vaulters are staying at?
Hey, my daughter vaults...I just watch.

User avatar
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Posts: 30435
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:59 pm
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Gender: Female
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan
Location: A Temperate Island
Contact:

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 pm

vballcoach wrote:Is the Grand Sierra the place to stay or is there other hotels that vaulters are staying at?


Everything that occurs related to the Summit happens inside the Hilton errr Grand Sierra, so it does not make much sense to stay anywhere else. I guess you could if you had a car, but you miss out on some of the experience of the event.

User avatar
Carolina21
PV Whiz
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:02 am
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Unread postby Carolina21 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:27 am

Anyone know what the discounted summit room rate rate will be at the Grand Sierra this year, or if there a discount at all?
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

User avatar
vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Posts: 1696
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:18 pm
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte
Location: Roseville, CA
Contact:

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:05 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
skyshark177 wrote:ohya, I remember that. You could only use it for like 24 hours or something and then renew it via their poxy server or something.

I wonder if it will remain the same with the new owners. hmm?


Yeah that part wasn't bad. They purposelly did not let the wireless internet reach into the theatre. They wanted like thousands of dollars if you wanted an internet hookup in there.


Do you think this can be overcome with a few strategically-placed Airport Express units? I've got one you can borrow.

vaultcat7
PV Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

Unread postby vaultcat7 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:06 pm

The pole vault rate is 88.00 a night. Little more than last year but not too bad

User avatar
Carolina21
PV Whiz
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:02 am
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Unread postby Carolina21 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks for the info..... all that is left now is a rental car and the matter of getting three sets of poles across the country :crying:
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0


Return to “Pole Vault Summit”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest