Speed or acceleration

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:11 pm

I think Marq is right. As far as i know, you want to be going as fast as possible at take off, but not at the sacrifice of a poor take off. Fastest CONTROLLABLE speed. I talked with Jeff Hartwig once and asked him whether he runs as fast as he possibly can down the runway, or if he saves some power for control-sake at take off. He told me that most all elite vaulters run as fast as they can, and have their runs timed to be at top speed at take off. But that is only because they have learned how to control their speed from years of practice. He can push as hard as he possibly can and still be prepared for a strong takeoff. Its not adviceable that someone who cant hold good posture and control at top speed, be vaulting at top speed quite yet.

So, i think its best to be going as fast as you can, since as was stated higher velocity= higher height. BUT if you aren't hitting a strong, tall, controlled and techniquely desireable takeoff, that extra speed does nothing, and you lose the energy to moment you leave the ground leaning too far forward with a terrible takeoff angle. Only run as fast as you can control, and eventually you will control faster and faster speeds.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Good afternoon

On the Approach run for the vertical jumps I do feel the run has to be accelerated from the first step. Much the way I think we have viewed bubka’s best runs and the way I think petrov teaches it. .

Why??

[quote]lonestar wrote
The interesting part about that, is that Petrov told me that Americans come out of the back too fast, and that they need to come out “tallerâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:21 pm

This is posted for dj.
- master

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 am

thanks master

what this chart represents is the steps for a "natural' acceleration from blocks or a two point stance.

the first column under the 4.25 is M. Greene’s steps on his world record 100 meters, which has since been beaten. You can see it took him 19 steps to cover 40 yards.. the new 100 meter record holder would have taken the same number of steps as Greene but each step would have been longer by ?? maybe ½â€Â

PVDad2
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVDad2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:20 pm

[quote]12 step (6 left) approach.. start 66â€Â

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:03 pm

hey

the athlete that used those numbers ran faster and held higher from the longer run... resulting in a "MID" further out.. some days her speed wasn't as fast as other days from the same long run... the run had to be moved up along with the "MID" and the grip lowered..

if the athlete doesn't or can't generate more speed from the longer run, the "MID" may not or should not change and if that is the case the benefit of a longer run needs to be analyzed...

dj

PVDad2
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVDad2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:03 pm

As a follow-up question, I assume that the above chart is for M. Greene (and any other sprinter) carrying a pole or not, as long as they could achieve that speed, it should work. I understand that concept. But how do you measure the speed of a vaulter carrying a pole? The distances are so short and w/o a speed trap, its difficult to judge a vaulters speed. Can you measure their 100M sprint race speed (or 40m or whatever) and make an intelligent adjustment for the caryying of the pole? How do you get the speed?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:10 pm

hey

i film from start to finish and use movie maker to break it down..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”