Pole Push off

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:19 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:i agree if genetics had nothing to do with it, then everyone would jump 19+ and run 10flat 100's. i know alot of guys who bust themselves everyday and arent "elite". and i know some guys who half-a** it and are incredible. ask Donald Thomas how much genetics played in his first track meet in his life.

I don't know who Donald Thomas is but I suspect the question to him would be about the same as asking Jim Thorp how much genetics helped him in his first ever Decathlon. If I remember correctly, his first was in the US Olympic trials and his second was for Olympic Gold.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:24 pm

jumpbackin wrote:I don't know who Donald Thomas is but I suspect the question to him would be about the same as asking Jim Thorp how much genetics helped him in his first ever Decathlon. If I remember correctly, his first was in the US Olympic trials and his second was for Olympic Gold.

A teammate of mine last year who high jumped 7-3.25 in his first meet ever. In sneakers and basketball shorts. He turned out for the team 2 days before and had never really high jumped before.

Story: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7161

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Exactly, hard work and dedication will only get you so far. This doesn't matter much if your goal is to simply do the best you can, be all you can be, and all that crap. But if you want to be the best, genetics are what will get you there... and steroids.

All hail Ben Johnson
"If he dies, he dies"

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Good luck with all of that then! Work hard, work smart and hope your genetic make-up supports your pole vault ambition.

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:57 am

jumpbackin wrote:
KYLE ELLIS wrote:i agree if genetics had nothing to do with it, then everyone would jump 19+ and run 10flat 100's. i know alot of guys who bust themselves everyday and arent "elite". and i know some guys who half-a** it and are incredible. ask Donald Thomas how much genetics played in his first track meet in his life.

I don't know who Donald Thomas is but I suspect the question to him would be about the same as asking Jim Thorp how much genetics helped him in his first ever Decathlon. If I remember correctly, his first was in the US Olympic trials and his second was for Olympic Gold.

Did they even know about genes back then? I thought they were discovered in the 50s.
"If he dies, he dies"

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:01 am

I don't think that that's quite the point.

Regardless of whether or not we understand how something works (or exists), it still plays its own role.
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:11 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
jumpbackin wrote:I don't know who Donald Thomas is but I suspect the question to him would be about the same as asking Jim Thorp how much genetics helped him in his first ever Decathlon. If I remember correctly, his first was in the US Olympic trials and his second was for Olympic Gold.

A teammate of mine last year who high jumped 7-3.25 in his first meet ever. In sneakers and basketball shorts. He turned out for the team 2 days before and had never really high jumped before.

Story: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7161

This was actually the best peice of coaching I have seen in a while at the National meet with this guy.

During warmups I saw this young man down by the high jump. Trying to find his starting spot. Hearing that he had no experience I witnessed the coached be like yeah right there. That looks good. LOL

It was the best coaching I have seen in a while. To many over coach espically in the high jump. He went on to jump well as well from a random starting point. When you got hops you got hops.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 am

I head that Houston McTear could roll out of bed in the morning, bend over and touch his toes a couple of times and run a ten flat hundred meters. There are just some deep jungle animals out there. I suspect that Tim Lobinger is one of them because he can jump so high with that horific takeoff. Now there is a guy whose vault lives or dies with his pushoff. Everything he does wrong in the first half of the jump is balanced by what he does right in the second half. Nobody jumping today works harder on the top of his jump.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:45 am

Good points! The master of the top of the jump could be Anthony Curran. I’ve got a video of a short run jump at UC Irvine at 5.62m (18’ 1 ½â€Â
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:11 am

For what it is worth, here are a couple of things I have noticed over the years.

People who push off a long way come from some variation of this position.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4057732

From here they extend explosively up the pole and use their arms to apply power all the way through the turn and push. Most athletes who get here, however, are under at the plant. You can reach this position with a free takoff, but you have to swing through the hips and not the shoulders.

This is the place everybody is trying to reach in the Petrov model.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4057731

You have to have a great plant and swing through the shoulders to get here. These guys grip high and only use their arms to stay as close to the pole as possible through the top of the jump.

The further an athlete’s hips are from the pole in the middle of the jump, the further they push off. Here is the position Joe Dial extended from.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4057906

EIUvltr
PV Pro

Unread postby EIUvltr » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:I head that Houston McTear could roll out of bed in the morning, bend over and touch his toes a couple of times and run a ten flat hundred meters. There are just some deep jungle animals out there. I suspect that Tim Lobinger is one of them because he can jump so high with that horific takeoff. Now there is a guy whose vault lives or dies with his pushoff. Everything he does wrong in the first half of the jump is balanced by what he does right in the second half. Nobody jumping today works harder on the top of his jump.

Paul Burgess?
"If he dies, he dies"

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:24 pm

EIUvltr wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:
EIUvltr wrote:...and genetics help too.

I’m pretty sure you just added this as a side comment, but this idea is always thrown around in speed and strength discussions, I really don’t think it does any good. It sounds more like the response a coach gives when his athlete isn’t improving rather than something constructive. Just because someone hasn’t gotten faster in months, or a years worth of training doesn’t mean that they couldn’t put everything together the next day.

Just my overly optimistic opinion

more like naive opinion

Wow quite the rip.
What Im saying is there’s not a thing you can do about genetics, besides use it as an excuse. So why even consider it. Go get stronger, better technically, and at the end of the day be satisfied in your own improvement.

Excuses come out of jealousy/resentment. And they lead to self depreciation because you aren’t as "good" as someone else. None of which benefit any athlete.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”