Pole Vault Ranked in USA today's 10 hardest sports

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Atleetwinvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Atleetwinvaulter » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:46 pm

Wow thats pretty good training, what kinda poles are you using now?I a workout similar to that i jsut need to focus on a few more tech. things that im horrible at, im jumping on a pole 30lbs over my body weight i jsut need to learn how to get myself completely upside down so i can shoot of the top and not flag off liek im doing! lol
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it"

dstarkey
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Former College coach
Lifetime Best: 19'5"

Unread postby dstarkey » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:17 pm

I am jumping on 5.10 and 5.20 Pacer carbons. The biggest pole I have used this year is a 13.6 holding 4.95 or so, not sure about the pound rating.

What poles are you on, grip, etc..?

Atleetwinvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Atleetwinvaulter » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:22 pm

Well im on a 13ft 160lb skypole not quite sure what the flew is though, im trying to get on a 14ft pole i blew through a 14ft 140lb pacer so im getting a 14 150 pacer, I am holding about 12'9'' on the skypole(13ft 160), but the poel is jsut so small it whips out real fast and shoots up real fast and i jsut cant rotate far enough....So i was goign to jsut get on a 14ft pole so id have more time to get upside down...but i stilll need to find a way to get my upside down constant and correct when i vault.
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it"

dstarkey
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Former College coach
Lifetime Best: 19'5"

Unread postby dstarkey » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:26 pm

Well, if you raise your grip you will definatley have alot more time to get upside down.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:56 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I think a triathlon would be very difficult. Especially an iron man triathlon.

In terms of technique, gymnastics has to be one of the most difficult.

i'm doing the danskins triathalon in august, i'm really excited
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

nipger
PV Fan

Unread postby nipger » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:50 pm

why is hitting a golf ball on the list. its 10 hardest things in SPORTS. i know hitting a golf ball far is hard, but golf itself isnt a sport. i hear alot of people say " golf is mentally challenging, so its a sport "... well, so is science. but i dont see scientists on the cover of sports illustrated. golf = game.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:10 pm

good thinkin. I think rock climbing should be on there i trained for about a year pretty hard and got up to 5.13 in a gym and that was the hardest thing ive ever tried and Chris Sharma has climbed 5.15 I think that should be in the top 5 hardest sports.

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:31 pm

I think the hardest sports have to require alot of different things. Like strength, coordination, being crazy. :D

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:43 am

tim hutzley wrote:good thinkin. I think rock climbing should be on there i trained for about a year pretty hard and got up to 5.13 in a gym and that was the hardest thing ive ever tried and Chris Sharma has climbed 5.15 I think that should be in the top 5 hardest sports.

I hope you're climbing a lot! 5.13 is pretty dang good even if it was in a gym. I saw the video of that Sharma doing the crux on that 5.15 in France and I couldn't believe the holds or the moves he used. It was totally unbelievable.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:40 pm

I was climbing at least two times a week when i was climbing like that but i havent been climbing much lately. I might still be able to do a hard rout like a 13 if i was realy fresh. im gunna start climbing alot again soon, hopefully i will be at 5.12 on real rock by december. Does any one else climb?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:42 pm

I think all the pole vaulters up here in Bellingham do except me :o

Return to “Pole Vault - General”