Tim riley's philosophy of poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

love 'em or leave 'em

i disown my pole when i'm through with it
50%
i love my pole after all we've been through
50%

Total votes: 14

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Tim riley's philosophy of poles

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:31 am

okay at camp tim said "Don not love your poles, outgrow them." but i think it's important to have a loving trusting relationship with your pole. i dunno
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:36 am

You only really outgrow poles from a certain run. Let's say you're jumping on a 13' 130 from 14 steps and you outgrow it. You don't give it away, it now becomes a good 12 step pole, until you outgrow it from 12, then a 10 step pole and so on. Ideally you have a series of poles that work from every possible stride, so you can perfect your technique from 2 steps and take those improvements with you every stride/magic number(Lon and Dub) until you reach your long run and "big" poles.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:33 pm

i guess, i normally only have two poles with, if it's an away meet though. i guess what i'm trying to get at is the fact that people respect their belongings, why not their poles?
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"

- Anonymous

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Cost

Unread postby Decamouse » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:49 pm

I guess if you pay for it (not the schools) you may be a little more gentle with them
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Re: Cost

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:22 pm

Decamouse wrote:I guess if you pay for it (not the schools) you may be a little more gentle with them

yeah, see i treated mine so well at camp, everyone thought they were my personal poles

- Anonymous

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Tim Reilly's philosophy on poles is a good one and why

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:46 pm

Tim Reilly's philosophy on poles is a good one and here is why http://www.nwpolevault.com/
You have to respect your poles hey your life depends on it, however if you hang on and keep using the easy to bend pole, the one that you do not have to work hard on, or the one that bends with a big bend you may end up with no Personal records, same Oh same at meets, or a possible over stress and broken $200-$400.00 pole.

We tend to not understand the facts behind Tim’s philosophy, confidence bends poles and if you stay with the one you love and not outgrow it you have accomplish zilch. The opportunity was right there for the taking a stiffer pole when the going gets tough yields progression.

OK poles are expensive, so find a used one in the shed, I go from school to school and find most all schools have a 15-150 cat, 15-150 Sky, 15-150 PAC, 15-150 ucs, 15-150 FiberSport etc 6 poles and no 15-155 what’s up with that???

If you get three poles a year? ok two poles a year always fill the gaps never DUP the pole this is selection versus the in pole of the year.

Find schools that will trade poles with you. Post your needs on here and someone will have a pole for you to buy.
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:14 pm

That would actually be Tim Reilly

http://www.nwpolevault.com/

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:45 pm

I grow accustomed to my poles...I love them and treat them like they're my children! ;)

Well, seriously though...I'm sooo used to using my 13'145, it's not even funny... I say it's MY pole, even though it belongs to the school...haha...

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Anti-pole spiking awareness campaign!

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:07 pm

it makes me ill how people leave their poles all spread out at meets. just one unsuspecting sprinter comes along and 'spike' there goes $450. i always put my pole back in it's tube or lean it against something.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:47 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:I grow accustomed to my poles...I love them and treat them like they're my children! ;)

Well, seriously though...I'm sooo used to using my 13'145, it's not even funny... I say it's MY pole, even though it belongs to the school...haha...

lol, i'm excatly the same way about my 11'5" 125

- Anonymous

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”