WHAT'S IN THE BAG?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

WHAT'S IN THE BAG?

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:06 am

WHAT'S IN THE BAG?
The Progression Pole for head wind, bad weather at your weight one you can qualify with that might be shorter and stiffer than your normal pole. (This can be a used short length pole over your weight) The warm-up pole to get to The Money Pole.
2. The Money Pole the one that works constantly all the time.
3. The Adrenaline Pole one for tail winds, great days and those times when all is together you are pumped. (Confidence bends poles you know)
When you know it is your day and you are progressing the Money pole feels lighter with less upward lift you are ready for the The Adrenaline Pole
As you get better the poles rotate and you add a stiff one to the bag.
Also as you progress this selection finites itself and turns into 4-6 poles.
I realize it is expensive to own three poles so the following is what it takes to be a consistent vaulter at every meet base on the things that you will encounter at the meets.
These do not need to be new poles you can swap and trade to get what is needed. Unless you are super consistent or very diversified you will have to have variable poles in your bag to meet the conditions blindly.
Other options:
rather than a bag full of poles;
Know what your poles can do with different handgrips!

Hint use as a rule of thumb:
1.2 lbs of stiffness per 1 inch within the handgrip area.
RULE:
Do not move any more than 1 fist up or down within a given practice or meet, as this alters timing drastically.
Know what you are doing raising the grip slows the pole speed making it difficult to make the pit have a supervisor preset that is certified and add extra bun protection.
Raising the grip places more stress on the pole. If the pole is too soft and bending more than 90 degrees you could break the pole by raising the grip.
(Note: vaulters have been using poles rated up to 10 lbs under their weight for years before the NFHS rule and have blew through the poles into the back of the pit without breaking the pole so what breaks poles is improper vaulting or nicks in the pole!)
You can in lieu of a stiffer pole lower the grip 1 fist to get the pole not to blow through and finish the meet with performances.
You might even be able to accomplish all the above needed on one pole if you learn in practice what your pole can adjust to.

Free INFO - advertisement free
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

keelowman
PV Nerd

Unread postby keelowman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:19 pm

(Note: vaulters have been using poles rated up to 10 lbs under their weight for years before the NFHS rule and have blew through the poles into the back of the pit without breaking the pole so what breaks poles is improper vaulting or nicks in the pole!)

I agree with being able to jump on poles under your weight without breaking them. When a break occurs, at least the ones I have seen ( and felt) were due to pulling down at take off, and nicks or spike marks in the pole it self. Inspect your poles and dont leave them on the ground at meets.
ahh San Diego: women, sun , beaches, pole vault, what else do you need.

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:01 pm

Pulling down at take off? In what way? Thrust with left and pull with right hands? Ive broken 2 poles... one first time out, it was used. I was in need of a pole and I didn't have one so I tried an acient 15' one thinking I could master it... welp might have been no marks on the sheek black pole but it definatly broke and since it was so old the bend wasnt great and I landed flat on my back... the other was a regular old break :-/ Pole was at my weight.

I think the more the pole flexes the less likely it is to break even if you are way over the weight, but you dont get the push like a nice stiff pole which can break. I'd drop the Spirit and get an ESSX or a Pacer. I've learned to hate Skypole and Spirit because something is taken away by a pole that can bend in half.. and thats about 10lbs of thrust! (upwards I may add)

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: WHAT'S IN THE BAG?

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:36 pm

ESSX wrote:WHAT'S IN THE BAG?
The Progression Pole for head wind, bad weather at your weight one you can qualify...

sound advise.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

What poles you should take to meets if you can

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:49 pm

WHAT'S IN THE BAG?
The Progression Pole for head wind, bad weather at your weight one you can qualify with that might be shorter and stiffer than your normal pole. (This can be a used short length pole over your weight) The warm-up pole to get to The Money Pole.
2. The Money Pole the one that works constantly all the time.
3. The Adrenaline Pole one for tail winds, great days and those times when all is together you are pumped. (Confidence bends poles you know)
When you know it is your day and you are progressing the Money pole feels soft with less upward lift you are ready for the The Adrenaline Pole
As you get better the poles rotate and you add a stiff one to the bag.
Also as you progress this selection finites itself and turns into 4-6 poles.
I realize it is expensive to own three poles so the following is what it takes to be a consistent vaulter at every meet base on the things that you will encounter at the meets.
These do not need to be new poles you can swap and trade to get what is needed. Unless you are super consistent or very diversified you will have to have variable poles in your bag to meet the conditions blindly.
Other options:
rather than a bag full of poles;
Know what your poles can do with different handgrips!

Hint to use as a rule of thumb:
1.2 lbs of stiffness per 1 inch within the handgrip area.
RULE:
Do not move any more than 1 fist up or down within a given practice or meet, as this alters timing drastically.
Know what you are doing when raising the grip as it slows the pole speed making it difficult to make the pit. Raising the grip places more stress on the pole, if the pole is too soft and bending could break the pole so make sure you know what you are doing before trying to raise the grip. You can figuare an estimated 1.2 lbs softer per inch when raising the grip in the grip area higher than you are using now.

You can in lieu of a stiffer pole lower the grip 1 fist to get the pole not to blow through and finish the meet with performances.
You might even be able to accomplish all the above needed on one pole if you learn in practice what your pole can adjust to.
ALWAYS consider a coach present that is certified and add extra buns for more protection.
Free INFO - advertisement free
This was reprinted as I felt it needs to be address for early season planning!

dubjones
PV Nerd

"Beg, Steal and Borrow, Because Your Jumping Tommrow&qu

Unread postby dubjones » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:24 pm

This is just my thinking, but in many cases it is true. My advice to everyone out there "Spend the Money".
I, and or we, see vaulters all the time, training, practicing, watching video ect.. in an attempt to jump higher. All good things, with one exception, they don't want to buy poles. I know it sucks, having to spend money on poles, really I do, but why waste time investing yourself into a sport only to limit your progress by the most simple item, the right pole. I know, not everyone can afford a bag of poles, but don't come crying to me after an NH because you didn't have the next smaller, or bigger, pole, while wearing a new leather jacket, or something of that sort.
In my book, and I hope this isn't being to harsh, if you don't have poles, it is hard to be considered a pole vaulter. I have yet to meet a fisherman without a fishing pole. If your school has the right ones for you that is great, if not hopefully they will purchase them for you, if not, and you want to jump high....then....it is up to you. It sucks, but it is the truth.
If it were me, and it has been, I would hold up a 7-11, or 2, or 3, to get the money for a pole if I thought that it would help me jump higher.
I would be giving you my 2 cents here, but I am saving it in case I need another pole.

DUB......
Krap.....or........NeverLand

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:53 pm

I personally don't know what I would go for with buying a new pole though...what type of pole? what weight? length??

I have blown through poles in the past (not breaking...but going past their capabilities with me)...I don't want to buy a pole that'll be obsolete for me within a couple months...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:44 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:I personally don't know what I would go for with buying a new pole though...what type of pole? what weight? length??

I have blown through poles in the past (not breaking...but going past their capabilities with me)...I don't want to buy a pole that'll be obsolete for me within a couple months...

Call Bryan at Gill, Bruce at ESSX, or Steve or Lane at UCS and they will be more than happy to help you out with pole selection.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:52 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:I personally don't know what I would go for with buying a new pole though...what type of pole? what weight? length??

when I blow through poles I still find use for them, short runs. Buying a pole is worth the price, unless it breaks on you, that always sucks, but I have poles that I used 4 years ago,all the way up to last season that I have stocked up for short runs and every one else to use. Of course there are a few gaps inbetween, but I still find use for all my poles.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:43 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:when I blow through poles I still find use for them, short runs. Buying a pole is worth the price, unless it breaks on you, that always sucks, but I have poles that I used 4 years ago,all the way up to last season that I have stocked up for short runs and every one else to use. Of course there are a few gaps inbetween, but I still find use for all my poles.

I am the exact same. The first pole I ever bought, I now use from 4 steps :heart:

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:45 pm

Like Duck just said!

If you buy a pole you should be able to use for the rest of your career. I still have use for poles I jumped on 7 years ago. No, they are not long run poles, but they are great 2, and 4 step poles. Having a full line of poles that you can jump on from 2 all the way to 16 steps is crucial to success. All the great coaches I know have practically a full line of poles from a 10' all the way to 16! Combine knowledge and expertise with the right equipment. That is key to being successful in this sport. Dont look at it as wasting money, look at it as a pole that you can use your entire career.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”