I need help choosing a new pole!

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

I need help choosing a new pole!

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm a freshmen in high school, it's my 6 week of vaulting, my pr in currently 12! I way about 130 and I am using a 145 12'5 pole and I have maxed out on that height and I am looking to get a new pole. Any suggestions on height and weight? Please help me out

silverstone997
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Coach, Recreational Vaulter, Official, Photographer, and Fan

Re: I need help choosing a new pole!

Unread postby silverstone997 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Do you have a coach advising you on this?

If you a first year vaulter/frosh and already jumping 12' its a good bet that you are going to move through poles quickly over the next couple of years, not to mention grow/gain weight.

1) Are your standards set all the way back when you jump? Are you landing in the back of the pit? Before moving poles, make sure you are getting pit penetration. Even if you are clearing a height, if you are not landing safely, moving up the pole will only make you less safe rather than get you over higher bars.

If the answers to above questions were yes - fantastic! ideally your next pole would be a 13'ish 135 - but depending on how you progress you might not be on that pole for long so ideally something like 13' 135, 13' 140, 13' 145. Again, this might not last you very long. Given that you'll probably need to buy poles again before you graduate and poles are expensive - I would try borrowing poles in this range from other schools or clubs if you can and then buy a decent progression of 13'6s/14's once youre at that point since you could grow 6" and gain 30 lbs before you're a junior.
OR if you don't have that option and must buy and want not to spend 6k on poles before your senior year here's what i would get: 13' 140 (you will need to grip below where you are gripping now on your 12'5 at first, focus on getting faster and stronger so you can start moving up), 13' 150 (or stiffer 145), 13'6ish 140 (or less stiff 145). This should last you for a bit and takes into account that you will probably be gaining some muscle mass/growing.

Also, call the manufacturers, they can usually advise you on flex number and such, particularly if the one you order from didn't make the pole you're currently using. Numbers are usually on their website.

Good luck!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 pm

What other 12'6 and 13' poles does your school already have?

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:20 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:What other 12'6 and 13' poles does your school already have?

We have a 13'6 155

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”