ways to upgrade....with little cost

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

~jj~
PV Whiz

ways to upgrade....with little cost

Unread postby ~jj~ » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:58 pm

Please note that I have posted three different landing pit upgrades using parts of vaulting pads at www.skyjumpers.com
The are located in the photos section under:
Lompoc PV pit upgrade
sjvsc pit upgrade
Middeltown, Ohio pit upgrade
I hope these photos and stories can help programs enlarge the size of their landing systems with-out too much expence. My area club kids use these facilties all the time and we find them to be of high quality.
~jan~
;)

keulpv
PV Fan

Unread postby keulpv » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:16 pm

Hey all,

I wanted to add that in Phoenix we are doing top-pad/pv pit upgrades for cheap out here. If its close enough we can come do it on site, otherwise, we ship stuff. The good thing is we can usually deliver within a month. Plus its three starving Pole Vaulters and a sewing machine, so its for a good cause. If anyone is interested you can call Greg Hull (SkyAthletics) at (602) 468-2888

Adam Keul- your local polevault seamster

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Last year was a disaster on upgrades

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:25 am

Last year was a disaster on upgrades for almost all the companies
We experienced over 30 % of all the upgrades we did last year had been measured incorrectly by the school.

Some did not know how to measure, some did not understand the importance of a proper measurement, and some did not care to measure.

As a result, we recommend that you get your upgrade done locally to your location so the maker has the ability to make and measure correctly.;

If the sewing group has some PV experience such as the post above that will be a plus to getting a confident upgrade.

Most awning and canvas shops can accommodate you. Make sure they have liability insurance to protect you if something they do causes a problem.

Almost every upgrade had kinks in them and it is so important to make sure that your system is done properly for safety sake.

We really feel it is better that you sell your smaller system to a backyard user as scrap foam and use the funds to buy a new one.
One reason is within the past 10 years many manufacturers were forced by regulations to use water-soluble glue, and most did use a method of sealing the glue spot to provide a little more life to the weld.

We recommend you select a system that provides the least amount of glue spots within the system, one with the largest lattice sections or one without lattice or honeycomb construction to provide more life to your system.

If you wish more info on this subject and photo examples of what we are talking about please got to

http://www.essxsport.com/foam.htm

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”