old p/v standards - Question

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

1yeldud1
PV Pro

old p/v standards - Question

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:17 pm

You see a lot of old p/v standards around. The majority of these have a upside down "u" shaped pipe to elevate the standards. This pipe almost always has 6 pegs on each individual standard to hold the crossbar. Curosity has me wondering, the 3 inside pegs are used for a normal crossbar. What would the 3 other pegs on the "straight" side of the standard be used for. Were these standares rotated at some point to use a longer cross bar? Any ideas

Thanks

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: old p/v standards - Question

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:00 pm

I have wondered the same thing. They seem out of place, redundant with inside and outside pegs, if we are talking about the same old Gill Athletic standards.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:03 pm

Me too, I've never seen a crossbar that long. We had some broke standards when I was a kid that we taped bamboo together to make it across the gap. The pegs were too high for high jump. Actually I still have a set of those standards. I would like to know what those pegs are for too.
compete and jump safe, have fun

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:24 pm

We are talking about the same thing. How about those "old" pole vaulters, can you answer this question. What about the p/v manf. can they come up with a suitable answer. Thanks

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:47 pm

I have a set of standards that have an extension that cut in on top. these used to use the old long bar, then with the extensions you'd use the shorter bar used now adays.
Ow

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”