What size pole to use

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

What size pole to use

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 am

So i recently started blowing through the pole i was using and definetely need to go up pole sizes. But i dont know what will work. I cant just go to practice and pick out a pole and try it because i go to a small school where we have like 6 poles. I am going to have to borrow one or buy one from another school most likely. I was using a 13' 130 from a 6 step (6 lefts). And i was blowing through with the standards all the way back at 32 1/2". Then i tried a 12'6" 140 pole and was still blwing through. I even tried both of these from a 5 step. Still not enough. So i found a kid at the meet the other day with a 13' 135 and used it from a 5 step and was still blowing through. I really would have been from my normal 6 step. But the meet was in kansas where standards only go back to 27" where missouri is 32 1/2". So what size pole should i try first. Someone has suggested a 13' 145 bc they said only going up 5lbs and no length wouldnt do much especially if i went back to my 6 step. Or could i also maybe use a 13' 150? Because then eventually (hopefully) i could go up to a 14' 130 pole because i was told they would be similar. What should i try getting first? I found a 13' 140 and a 13' 150. Should i even bother with the 140 if it is to small still. I only weigh 128-130 right now. Which i was told is good that i am getting on poles over my weight.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: What size pole to use

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am

Yes, you should still try the 140 first. It's possible that you were dealing with a soft 135 and this could be a stiff 140, so it may be a bigger jump than you think. Don't use the 150 until you are blowing through the 140.

Stay on the 13' poles for now, I would not go longer until you are at least blowing through the 150.

Study this chart:
http://www.skyjumpers.com/articles/pvpr ... table.html

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Okay i will do that. But the 135 wasnt soft because the kid ha just bought it at the end of last hear i think he said. It was a good pole i just have a good explosive take off i think for the most part. So if the 140 works from 5 steps even if i have to put standards at 32 1/2 should i stick with that or try a 145 or that 150 from my usual 6 step?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Jungm1420 wrote:Okay i will do that. But the 135 wasnt soft because the kid ha just bought it at the end of last hear i think he said. It was a good pole i just have a good explosive take off i think for the most part.

For any given weight rating there is a range of stiffness. It has nothing to do with how new the pole is. Generally, poles do not get "worn down" to be softer by use.

As a side note, the maximum allowed depth of the standards in high school is 80cm which is 31.5", not 32.5".
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Oh okay. Yea that makes sense. I seen on a website that sold poles that as the weight goes up on a pole and the length stays the same how soft the pole is (the flex rate) decreases. Am i right? So as i go up pole weights staying at a 13' pole the flex rates will decrease making the poles stiffer?

And in missouri they can go to 32 1/2. Or atleast they did last year for districts and every meet ive been at this yr. it might have just changed in the last yr or two.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 am

Below is an attempt to describe the relationship between flex and weight rating for poles. Note I am trying to convey the concept and I created the flex numbers to weight rating chart only for communicating the concept. I have probably left something out but if I have someone on PVP will correct it.

Regarding Missouri high schools using 32.5" for a maximum standards setting, don't they use the NFHS rule book?

measuring pole deflection 3.jpg
measuring pole deflection 3.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 am

master wrote:Regarding Missouri high schools using 32.5" for a maximum standards setting, don't they use the NFHS rule book?

He's probably just been dealing with some confused officials/coaches. I doubt Missouri actually has a rule that says their standards are allowed at 32.5" instead of 31.5".

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 pm

ok. so as i go up a pole in weight not length staying with a 13' pole it will just become stiffer? the flex ratings will decrease so there is less bend? the only way to stay around the same flex rating as the pole i have now would be to go up in length to a 13'6" or 14' pole? what would you suggest for a flex rating for me? i am a sophomore in high school, weigh 128lbs, am like 5'5. i have been blowing through our 13'130 pole from 6 lefts. the flex rating on it is 23.2.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 pm

okay. so when you need to go up to a bigger pole because you are blowing through you can either go up in length and drop weight to stay about the same flex rate as the pole you were on or would that be just the same and you still need a stiffer flex rating? if you just go up weight and not length then you are just using a stiffer pole so less bend?

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”