Pole Questions

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

KBRINK
PV Newbie
Expertise: Old High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isinbayeva

Pole Questions

Unread postby KBRINK » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:57 am

OK i used to pole vault in high school and coach i need some refreshers on pole choices to be on the safe side. In 2009 i bought a Spirit Pole 12' 1.5" / 3.70m and offers a suggested top hand-grip of 10' 7.5" - 11' 7.5". soft flex weight limit 120 pounds . My cousin is in Middle School and just started pole vaulting and they don't coach very well and use whatever poles. She asked to use my pole. I would teach her drills and the right forum on how to do things using my pole would that be fine? I asked her this morning what her weight and height is so when she texts back i will post that later. Another question i guess would it be safe for her to do full vaults on my pole? I'm thinking the pole will be to big and reject her which i don't want that happen. Plus i will not leave my pole at the school she attends don't want pole to get damaged because they like to walk on them with spikes so it will not always be available to her. Should i just have her ask her coach if on the weekends she could use a school pole vault pole because when i switched poles different brands some poles would jerk me or reject me even though i held were my hands were on my other pole same height and weight pole just different brand. I know they have a 10' mystic and 11' mystic and they dont flex like my pole because the stiffness is hard on them. should she stay with mystic the smaller and stiffer pole for being a beginner? :star:

Thanks, Kayla

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole Questions

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am

She can use your pole safely, she just needs to grip way down on it. If she gets rejected she needs to grip lower. As a beginner, she does not need to be bending the pole anytime soon.

KBRINK
PV Newbie
Expertise: Old High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isinbayeva

Re: Pole Questions

Unread postby KBRINK » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 am

Thank you so much. She's asking her coach first if she can use a school pole on Sundays.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”