tape

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

shspv12
PV Newbie

tape

Unread postby shspv12 » Wed May 05, 2004 8:33 pm

hey does anyone know what the highschool rule is concerning the use of sticky tape for hand wraps on the pole, i had the guy running pole vault at districts make me take it off, i was wondering if it is really a legitimate rule that sticky tape is not aloud

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed May 05, 2004 10:09 pm

NFHS Rule 7, Section 5,

Article 2: (The pole) may have a binding of not more than two layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness.

Article 5: ...the field referee...shall inspect each pole...to verify...the proper binding of not more than two layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness. The binding shall not be on or above the top hand-hold band.

Article: 21: Taping of any part of the hands or fingers shall not be permitted unless there is an open wound that must be protected by tape. Taping of the wrist is permissable. Gloves are not permitted. Competitors may use chalk or an adhesive or similar substance such as rosin on their hands during competition.

Doesn't say you can't use sticky tape!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Wed May 05, 2004 10:31 pm

I remember that issue being addressed on the NFHSA web page and remember that it was okay to use the double sticky tape. I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be, but if it is legal to use sticky spray on athletic tape, wouldn't that be the same? Adhesive spray and rosin are approved for grip enhancement.
compete and jump safe, have fun

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Wed May 05, 2004 10:43 pm

All the more reason to purchase a NFHS rule book and keep it with you at all times. I have to pull it out at most high school meets. Most of the times the starter doesn't know the pole vault rules, and that's who makes the final decission. Take those bogus rulings to the starter to straighten out the decissions made by a pole vault official that doesn't know the rules.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Thu May 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Not an excuse, but many of the people running an event are volunteers and may or may not know or even keep up with rules.

The bottom line answer to your question is that you can use any kind of tape you want to use.

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Thu May 06, 2004 2:16 pm

What about the practice of taping from top to bottom? Ever have any vault officials frown on that, because they feel like it leads to development of ridges on the tape job as the tape rolls down a little?
run high and hold fast

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu May 06, 2004 3:35 pm

natdog wrote:What about the practice of taping from top to bottom? Ever have any vault officials frown on that, because they feel like it leads to development of ridges on the tape job as the tape rolls down a little?

Actually, that IS an NCAA rule - I don't have the book to quote the rule, but I've seen it in there. Not a high school or USATF rule though.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 06, 2004 7:41 pm

natdog wrote:What about the practice of taping from top to bottom? Ever have any vault officials frown on that, because they feel like it leads to development of ridges on the tape job as the tape rolls down a little?

You can't actually have the ridges on the pole, but I don't think they can do anything about it until there are ridges.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu May 06, 2004 8:27 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:

You can't actually have the ridges on the pole, but I don't think they can do anything about it until there are ridges.

Yet another pointless rule taking up too much of the athlete's and offiicial's time during meets. Does anyone honestly think that having ridges is an advantage? And if so, how is that unfair if everyone has the option to tape their pole that way if they choose? Same thing with gloves, or more than 2 layers of tape. Whatever it takes to hold on better, I say by all means do it, b/c it's not going to help you jump any higher, and it's not an unfair advantage if everyone has the opportunity to do it.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Thu May 06, 2004 8:27 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Correct Ms Rainbow Girl,
NCAA and NF use the words no more than two layers of "uniform thickness". This is generally interpreted and enforced as being smooth and that means no ridges.
We'll ask for a retape if there are prominent ridges. NF case book ruling supports this. If the taping looks OK, but shows signs of minor roll-downs during the inspection we can recommend a retape as the more the pole is used the more roll-down will occur. A pole could later be declared no longer useable until retaped if these ridges make the surface non-smooth.

You might not know, but for 2004, USATF has eliminated the maximum number of tape layers you can use on your pole in the hand hold area. The number of layers is whatever you want. The requirement for the surface being smooth is still there. That still means no ridges.

Someone mentioned an NCAA taping direction. That requirement is no longer in effect as of 2003. Personally, it made pole inspection very easy. Ridges and roll-downs never occurred. Most collegiates still tape the pole that way. I know quite a few that don't use any tape at all.

I'm guessing there will be some taping changes made in the next few years for NF and NCAA rules. Hopefully to make it easier for everyone. NCAA has allowed the use of gloves in the pole vault so what's a few ridges going to do? probably nothing.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Thu May 06, 2004 8:45 pm

Picking up on Lonestar's point.-- A few years ago in our state tournament series,we showed up with our poles that I had just retaped because I knew all the officials cared about was the condition and placement of the tape. 30 minutes before the meet it starts raining like hell, and the temperature drops to 45 deg. 10 minutes before the start the official wants to inspect the tape on all the poles while standing in the middle of the runway in the pouring rain. --- All he accomplished was getting the grips so wet that my guy's hand popped off the pole 3 straight times -a NH for the #1 seed. He took an already dangerous situation and made it much worse- for what purpose?
I say anything that allows you to hold on to the pole is inherently safer and gives no one any real advantage.

zack

Unread postby zack » Fri May 07, 2004 12:31 am

Or you could be like Galfione and just chalk with no tape.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”