Meggie Hanzlik may not get another chance at states (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Meggie Hanzlik may not get another chance at states (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am

http://www.snponline.com/articles/2008/ ... 09pm_4.txt

North standout may not get another chance at states
Published: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:36 PM EDT
Text Size
So there she sat, the 2007 Ohio Capital Conference Central Division pole vault champion, sitting and watching the competition at the 2008 league meet Saturday, May 17, at Thomas Worthington.

And on this day, she had no more chance to defend her title, to soar majestically over the bar, than the guy putting down hot dogs with both hands at the concession stand.

Pickerington North's Meggie Hanzlik was diagnosed with a stress fracture on her right leg within the last few days, so not only was league championship competition out of the question, a chance to improve on her third-place 2007 state finish is in severe jeopardy.

"I'm hoping I'll be ready by districts, but it's hard to say right now," said the senior. "It's possible I can come back. I have to see the doctor and see if he clears me before the meet."

While she had vaulted well this spring, already besting her state meet performance, Hanzlik said some problems had cropped up.

"This week, it had kind of built up, it was bothering me and kept getting worse and worse," she said. "Then I went to the doctor and found out.

"It was a goal to get back to the state meet. It might still be possible if my leg feels better."

While the event was a bit of an oddity a few years back, now it seems every suburban high school girls team has a handful of accomplished pole vaulters.

"It's grown, and it's kind of fun to be a part of it," Hanzlik said.

"My dad always thought I'd be good at it, he always wanted me to give it a try. My sophomore year, I did give it a try. Ever since then, I enjoyed doing it. It's been a lot of fun."

As in most other sports endeavors, according to the North standout, you know immediately if you've just hit a good one.

"Yeah, you can feel it," she said. "I know if I've had a good vault by the way I take off and how things go. It always kind of fits together. The run up, I think, is the most important part. And then just getting the technique down once you're in the air."

Hanzlik said there's a chance she may compete at the district meet, even wearing her soft cast, and make as few attempts as possible to qualify for the regional.

North will be at the Dublin Coffman district site Tuesday, May 20, Thursday, May 22, and Saturday, May 24.

Pole vault competition is slated for May 22.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Wed May 21, 2008 11:49 am

Get better Maggie, We all want to see you jump high!!
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:47 am

Sorry Meg....have your Dad call me!!!

Bob
Bob

Return to “Heartland Region”