PV Nerd
Expertise: USATF Master Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Houston pole vaulter is also the school's mascot

Unread postby PV Official » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:36 pm

http://thedailycougar.com/2011/01/25/sh ... ge-mascot/

Shasta unmasked: a day in the life of a college mascot
By John Brannen
Published on: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 Modified on: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 0Share
Shasta’s responsibilities include stirring up Cougar Pride at football, basketball games and other UH events.
File Photo/The Daily CougarAs a mascot, Shasta is a walking symbol of school spirit. If you have attended any UH events, chances are you have given Shasta a high five, or were the victim of one of his humorous pranks.

But the person behind the costume does contribute more to the UH community than just parading at games. Bryan Brown is the man behind the mask, he is also a pole vaulter for the track and field team. His accolades include qualifying for the 2009 and 2010 NCAA Regional Outdoor Meet. In 2009, he was the Outdoor Conference USA Champion, clearing more than 16 feet to win the gold.

The Daily Cougar caught up with Brown to talk about the juggling act of being Shasta and a student-athlete.

Q: How did you become Shasta?

A: I came to UH as a student-athlete. It was my sophomore year that I found out the last person who volunteered couldn’t end up doing it so I was like ‘sure I’ll try it’ — just to see how it goes. It’s stuck from then on.”

Q: Why did you decide to do it?

A: A lot of it is for fun. It’s a secret way I can cheer on my friends at every sporting event. We’re like a small community up here but it’s kind of like a big family. There’s 350 athletes so it’s a cool way to give back to the University in the easiest way I can. It also gives me the chance to mess with people sometimes.

Q: It can’t be a one-man job, is the other Shasta an athlete as well?

A: Last year I was the only one. Matt Stolt, a receiver here was Shasta before me. It would be cool to have a third generation of athletes to be Shasta. We’re going to hold some tryouts soon and maybe we can find another athlete. We have another guy in training, but he’s a student.

Q: What about Sasha?

A: Sasha has always been a regular student. There’s two of them also.

Q: What are your plans for the pole vault this season?

A: I’m redshirting the whole season and will compete unattached. I’ll get some more training in and see how that goes.

Q: When are your mascot duties over?

A: Next football season will be my last. I’ll be completely done with Shasta after that.

Q: So you won’t be pursuing a career in being a mascot?

A: If it leads to a full-time career, I’m definitely down for that. I know though I’ll probably have to get a full-time job to pay the bills.

Q: What is your plan for that?

A: I’m majoring in organizational leadership. I want to go back to grad school for sports administration. I would like to maybe become an athletic director one day. Maybe come back here and bring some Cougar pride.

vault-techniques
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Highschool Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Re: Houston pole vaulter is also the school's mascot

Unread postby vault-techniques » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am

PV Official wrote:Q: So you won’t be pursuing a career in being a mascot?

A: If it leads to a full-time career, I’m definitely down for that. I know though I’ll probably have to get a full-time job to pay the bills.

Interesting question to ask..... :confused:

ras
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby ras » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see him vault in that getup? At halftime - between the marching band - and over the goalpost!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Great article :yes: That's neat he is getting the opportunity to be a mascot and pole vault.

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm

ras wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else want to see him vault in that getup? At halftime - between the marching band - and over the goalpost!

You aren't the only one :yes:
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 am

I would never have even guessed that was Bryan in the mascot uniform. I applaud him for getting into the school spirit and volunteering for that gig.
compete and jump safe, have fun

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOvPhJN ... re=related

Here is the cougar pole vaulting! I saw this video a while ago so I figured he was a vaulter, or at least one of the vaulters put the suit on for fun. I think there should be a mascot pole vault competition!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 am

VaultPurple wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOvPhJNt1M&feature=related

Here is the cougar pole vaulting! I saw this video a while ago so I figured he was a vaulter, or at least one of the vaulters put the suit on for fun. I think there should be a mascot pole vault competition!

Yes! :yes:

I am surprised he was able to get his plant up with that giant head on!

bryanbrown
PV Beginner

Unread postby bryanbrown » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 am

Dang Becca nice job finding this article FAST ! Long before i noticed it lol ! :yes:
And yes it was almost impossible to jump with that head on , i couldn't see i just counted and hoped that i was planting in the back of the box! HA
but their is more to come with Shasta playing around with this and many other things to make people think twice and get a kick out of it !
Shoot any Ideas !??!!

And Belmore thanks for the applaud ! i really like doing it because all the fun people have when they see a huge cougar messing with people, and its really the best way i can help UH within the community,Not only do we do campus actives, but we do so much stuff for kids and non profit organizations, some of that stuff we do really brings a smile to kids that would never get opportunities that most people get.

and crazy little thing to know also is before and after every football game i also get an IV
Grip It and Rip It

Return to “Pole Vault - College”